Help With Cake Too Moist!

Baking By cakesbycourtney Updated 6 Jul 2017 , 9:08pm by kakeladi

cakesbycourtney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycourtney Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 1:51am
post #1 of 11

I use boxed cake mix because the recipes I've tried are flavorless or I can't seem to make the right amount of mix for the amount of cake I'm baking. But my cakes  are so moist when I fill them with frosting it seeps through to the cake. I love seeing pictures of cakes cut and the frosting is perfectly aligned with a nice firm cake and they don't all Smush together. I hope you know what I mean. Any tricks to get boxed cake less moist or preventing the filling from seeping into the cake layers? 

10 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 2:52am
post #2 of 11

The *Original* WASC cake recipe

Try @kakeladi ‍'s White Almond Sour Cream recipe, which starts with a box cake and is extended by adding other ingredients.  It is a wonderful tasting, versatile recipe which is sturdy enough to stack and even carve.  You will not be disappointed.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 11

Is this the recipe link? The problem is her recipe is for the old 18 ounce boxes of cake mix. Would ingredients still be same amount to add in since the cake mixes are a lot smaller now?

http://www.food.com/recipe/kakeladis-original-wasc-white-almond-sour-cream-cake-309528

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 11

I believe that is addressed in the comments section - some add a little from a second box to make the 18, but others have noticed no difference when using the smaller box.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 11

I have made the recipe as kakeladi has it posted and it works fine.  Since I am usually making cakes that will be stacked tiers and/or carved, I add an extra 1/2 cup of cake mix from a second box to bring it up to the original measurements, which just makes the cake slightly more sturdy.  Either way, it is a delightful recipe.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for clarifying to add 1/2 cup of extra cake mix. It would make sense to add the extra to bring it back up to the old 18 oz. box.  I used to love the white cake mix but have not bought it since they changed the box amount. Maybe I will try it some day with this recipe. Thanks

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 11

If you read all the replies on the *original* WASC recipe &/or the many, many threads on this site, you would see that I have addressed the issue of the smallerweights of cake mix.   At 1st I would add extra dry mix from another box but when I forgot/didn't notice that the weight of the box I was using was smaller, I just made it up as I always did and it turned out just fine.....so no change is needed w/the new smaller boxes of mix. Recently I noticed in another thread someone pointed out that they were now using cake flour instead of All Purpose (AP) as I state in the recipe.   I, myself, have not done that but they said it made a difference in the tenderness & fluffiness of their cake.  If you have cake flour you might try that. 

carrotcake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrotcake1 Posted 22 Jun 2017 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 11

love this recipe -it's my "go to" recipe - my recipe is the same but calls for 1 1/3 cups of water - I think I will try the 1 cup instead - mine is really moist.  I use it to make a 12x12 inch pan - it's not very thick so I make 2 of them for layers and this is my sheet cake for custom orders.

cakesbycourtney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycourtney Posted 6 Jul 2017 , 1:24pm
post #9 of 11

I actually started refrigerating my cakes overnight wrapped in Saran Wrap and now the filling won't soak in! I'm scared to try new recipes. I'm more of a decorator than a baker 

luv4baking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv4baking Posted 6 Jul 2017 , 6:54pm
post #10 of 11

Hi, I m new to baking. Have made the cake hardly 3 times. First two times it was good i used the normal all purpose flour but the last time alone it was nt good. Side all turned brown but top of the cake did nt turn brown but also the next day its very sticky. This time i hav used unbleached all purpose flour. So what could be the reason for it? 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Jul 2017 , 9:08pm
post #11 of 11

carrotcake1 said:  ......scared to try new recipes......

The only way you are going to learn is to get right in there and have a failure now & then.  There is nothing to be afraid of as long as you practice w/o it being for an order -- that's NOT the time to try a new recipe :)  Have some low key family or church affair coming up?  Try a different flavor, recipe or whatever.  And the recipes posted on this site (especially my *original WASC recipe) are tried and true ones

lov4baking:  Are you talking about the *original* WASC recipe?  You say this time is wan't good - in what way?  A sticky top is experienced by many people..even I have had that happen.  I think it has to do w/our ovens.....we all use a different one.  And each is set/calabrated differently so the temp could be off by just a few degrees therefore it is not baking *exactly* right.  Using 'unbleached' AP flour vs 'regular' AP makes no difference.  How it is measured could.  Also the humidity in your home is probably different than mine.  And of course each day it would be different.  That also could cause the top to be sticky.  There is nothing wrong w/the cake even if the top is sticky. Just cut if off.  It usually is only about 1/8 of an inch deep if that so leveling the cake will take it off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%