Soccer Ball Cake

Decorating By vanessa62114 Updated 19 Jun 2017 , 8:27pm by kakeladi

vanessa62114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanessa62114 Posted 19 Jun 2017 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 4

Hello!

I would like to make a soccer ball cake for my father-in-law's birthday.  I presume I need to use two half dome tins and then place together? How do I make sure it doesn't roll off the cake board?  How hard is it to make a cake in a half dome?

Thanks!!

3 replies
inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 19 Jun 2017 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 4

I have the ball pan, but only used one for a dome before. Anyway, it has instructions inside about how to frost to resemble a soccer ball. I guess I never thought about the cake board, but I think it would be cute to use a grass frosting tip and pipe grass all around the base of it.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 19 Jun 2017 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 4

I took a masonite board and nailed three nails near the center of the board.  I covered the nails with melted chocolate.  While I have done all cake, I prefer to use RKT in the bottom half and then cake on top.  Less worry about moving/rolling. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jun 2017 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 4

Once you have baked up the 2 half domes, put them together w/a stiff filling and cut a flat area on one, then turn it over so the ball sits on the flat spot.  640 also has a good idea, maybe use both.... I also like her suggestion of using RKT for 1/2 of it.  Much safer, if the creation has to be transported very far.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%