Party Help?

Lounge By Geegee1330 Updated 7 Jun 2017 , 8:01pm by Geegee1330

Geegee1330 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geegee1330 Posted 6 Jun 2017 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all this is not really cake related.  But since you all can understand the enormity of the cake you might be able to help.  I am having a graduation/going away to military party for my son in less than a month.  I am making a 2/3 scale drum set out of cake which is a major undertaking.  I am also preparing the majority of the food for 150 people.  My question is while I will be in cake hell for the week prior to the party, does anyone know if I can make ahead any of my other dishes and still have them taste good.  My menu consists of Fried chicken (ordered from a store), meatballs, rigatoni, (both requiring homemade pasta sauce), green beans, potato salad (gratefully supplied by my SIL), fruit salad, and bread(debating between homemade and storebought) Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

10 replies
inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 6 Jun 2017 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 11

I have made meatballs, rigatoni and pasta sauce, froze, and had success. It depends on how you are making them. Is the rigatoni part of a casserole in sauce? You couldn't just freeze the noodles alone, they would be rubbery. If part of a casserole, undercook the noodles a bit and prepare as though you are serving it. Then cover well, freeze, and thaw in fridge overnight before you need it, let sit 30 minutes at room temp, and then bake covered in foil. Potato salad would not freeze good, so good think you don't have to worry about that.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 6 Jun 2017 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 11

Things that can be made and frozen ahead of time...meatballs, pasta sauce, bread.  Defrost day before and heat up the day of.

Have you considered making a baked ziti (or rigatoni) dish instead of just boiling pasta?  A baked ziti can be made ahead of time and frozen.  Defrost completely and let it come to somewhat room temp before baking off in the oven.  Unless of course there is a cheese issue hence why you are doing just pasta in sauce.

So that leaves you with the green beans and fruit salad to prepare the night before or morning of.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Jun 2017 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 11

You've gotten good info from the two posters.   As for the potato salad........you can bake/cook the potatoes ahead and maybe cut up the veggies used at least 2-3 days ahead.  I have  fzn cooked potatoes but for a salad I don't suggest that.  With all you have to do I suggest  you buy the bread :)  There is only so much one can do and have it turn out well.   Don't under estimate how much work all this is going to be.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 6 Jun 2017 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 11

Here is a crockpot rigatoni recipe. Crockpots are pretty wonderful for keeping stuff hot for a big party of people. Depending on # of people you could borrow another crockpot and have two full with rigatoni. Once you get it together you cook on low for 4 hours and can forget it. If I were you I would buy Prego spaghetti sauce to save you time. The drum cake is a big undertaking and will keep you very busy!!!

http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-rigatoni-60703

Geegee1330 Posted 6 Jun 2017 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you all for your replies!!  I was sticking with basic rigatoni due to a few vegetarians, and picky kids lol.  The meatballs I may try to do in advance to save some time.  Unfortunately I can't do anything but my homemade pasta sauce or my son will be disappointed.  He is my last one to leave home so the extra work is worth it.  I did a practice cake I have some tweaks to make but it didn't take very long so I hope all of them will work the same.  Maybe you can help with rice krispy treat for the bass drum.  It won't be eaten and it will measure 15" round and 12" deep.  That will be very time consuming.  How far in advance can I make that.  Like I said it won't be eaten but I don't want it to mold.

thanks again!

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 7 Jun 2017 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 11

Have you considered using a styrofoam round for the bass drum?  No cooking/baking involved.  Take a look in your local craft store  and they should have discs of styrofoam or large rectangle pieces you could cut your rounds out of.  To get the thickness you can glue multiple pieces together (I would probably use a few dowels too).  So basically you are just making a faux tier for your cake.

Geegee1330 Posted 7 Jun 2017 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks! Yes that was my first thought until I saw the price of styrofoam rounds it would be way to expensive.  Plus I need the weight of the RKT to add stability to the 2 cake coming out of the bass drum.  I'll attach a picture since I can't explain it very well.  

Geegee1330 Posted 7 Jun 2017 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 11

Party Help?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jun 2017 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 11

I too considered suggesting styo but then saw the size you need and knew it would be expensive:)   RKT items can be made days, if not weeks ahead so it's probably your best choice.

As for the pasta sauce, I would think that could be made weeks ahead and fzn.  You don't say when the party is......how much time from now.  Yes, a crockpot is a great idea for reheating much of your menu.

Geegee1330 Posted 7 Jun 2017 , 8:01pm
post #11 of 11

The party is not until July 1st but I am a planner and a control freak lol if I don't have plan for every "what if" I don't function well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%