Why Do People Like Boxed Cake Mix Better Than From Scratch Cakes?

Baking By satindoll_101 Updated 13 Jun 2017 , 1:04am by mkcherry

satindoll_101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
satindoll_101 Posted 25 May 2017 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 15

Hi All,

Has anyone ever had the odd client (or relative in my case) say that they like the texture of a boxed cake mix (or Costco cake) better? I agree these cakes are very soft. My cakes (which I make from scratch) are soft, but yes, in comparison I will admit that they aren't as soft as the boxed / store bought kind. If they were, they probably would collapse under the weight of the fondant but even when I use buttercream icing, my cakes are soft but not crumbly soft.

I have gotten rave reviews from many people about my cakes (flavour, texture etc.,) but inevitably I always get the odd, "I like boxed / Costco cake better, or my cake is not as soft as a boxed mix /Costco cake" and it drives me crazy!!! I pride myself on making my cakes from scratch using real ingredients, and like I said I know they taste good based on comments from many people who have tasted them.

Has any from scratch bakers ever experienced this? And if so, how should I tactfully respond to such a comment? 

PS. My question is no way meant to offend any box caked mix bakers, just looking for some perspective on this issue. TIA!

14 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 May 2017 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 15

Many of us have grown up w/boxed mix cakes and have trouble finding the same taste/texture in a scratch cake.   I have read on here that if the scratch cake has been frig'd it will 'be dry'/not as soft.  

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 May 2017 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 15

Drives me crazy.  Fortunately my family has really only known scratch cakes, so none of us likes boxed cake mixes.  I can taste all the artificial flavors and chemicals.  Yuk.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 May 2017 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 15

i once gave a cake sample to a girl who rigorously spit it out into the trash can --- ahahahahahhahahaha -- she did not like the almond in the icing -- so you say "oh yeah can't please 'em all" -- and so when it happens to you -- you could just be glad she didn't throw up unceremoniously with sound effects in front of the whole crowd of people at the bridal show -- right??

yum clap smile

everytime it happens, think of this story and breath a sigh of relief right?

besides that -- from time to time i'd hear people praising my 'scratch' or 'box mix' cake whichever is their preference even though the cake was actually the opposite -- whatever -- no one can please everyone --

just say -- "that's cool" and smile

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 May 2017 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 15

Reminded me - hubby and I were at a business mtg with a buffet.  I of course had to get a piece of cake.  I turned to hubby, "Here taste this."  Hubby, "Is it good?"    Me, "NO, it's awful.  I didn't even know cake could taste like this."  Had to be a cakemix.  It was sort of like when someone says, "I think this is bad.  Smell it."  nooooooo

Bakell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakell Posted 26 May 2017 , 4:38am
post #6 of 15

K8memphis, oh my goodness, lol, some people are just over the top! I agree, you can't please everyone.

Satindoll_101, I have heard this so many times also, and I'll be honest (don't hate on me other bakers), I have done a lot of baking with both scratch & boxed cake. I have a whole blog post on it that starts "First, I am well aware that it is considered "taboo" for skilled bakers to use boxed cake in place of a recipe from scratch; so before you get all “Crazy Face” on me..." HAHAHA!

http://bakell.com/blog/5-tips-for-making-delicious-boxed-cake/

satindoll_101 Posted 8 Jun 2017 , 3:26am
post #7 of 15

Sorry for the delayed reply. Thank you for your input everyone! I think my husband is right when he says you can't please everyone. As long as majority of the people like my cakes, then I'm good. :) 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 2:50am
post #8 of 15

I was shocked to discover that some people prefer cake mixes over scratch, too @satindoll_101 ‍.  When I first started decorating cakes, I made birthday cakes for all of my neighbors.  I was using my favorite from scratch recipes - red velvet, hummingbird, my own take on carrot cake - and eveyone seemed to enjoy them.  Then came time for one of the lady's birthday and I asked her what kind of cake she wanted, plain white cake mix!!!  I almost vomited!  She wanted a plain white cake mix, so that is what I made.  After a bunch of discussion among the neighborhood group, we decided the preference must be based upon what you grew up eating.  My mama always had from scratch cakes and cookies in the house, never cake mixes.  Now I just make whatever the person prefers.  If it is for me, I always make scratch because that is what my husband and I like, but if someone prefers a box cake, that is OK with me too.  I don't mind making them.  I am not snobbish about using a box cake, a doctored cake mix or from scratch baking.  They all have their place.

ceelyon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceelyon Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 3:51am
post #9 of 15

never had a problem with cakes in the fridge ,  up to three days covered.  leave out of fridge 3 hours to warm up to room temp, and they are fine. when i scratch make my wedding cakes., i bake  5-7 days  before, freeze wrapped well , and ice cold. assemble and decorate

mkcherry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkcherry Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 3:56am
post #10 of 15

Cake mix (to me) taste like chemicals and sadness, doesn't hold up to carving and stacking very well and I've never had a taste of one and not known immediately that  it was cake mix. I used to make it if someone asked for it but now I won't. If I sell someone a $150 gorgeous cake made with cake mix, even if they love it,  they may serve it friends and family who don't "love" cake mix they will definetly taste it and think I cheated or cheaped out and I just don't want it associated with my brand. Most of my cake request are referrals who tasted / saw my cakes and ive never had someone cancel an order because i don't do cake mix 

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 4:08am
post #11 of 15

@mkcherry ‍ *chemicals and sadness lol

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 9:17pm
post #12 of 15

You know, taste is really is all in our minds....yes, Sandra it mostly IS what we grew up with that tastes good to a person.  I have had several customers tell me they never could bake a cake......even from a mix.  That's why they were ordering from me.   My landlady ordered at least once a month and always wanted white cake w/bavarian creme filling.  Blah!  But that's what she loved.

satindoll_101 Posted 12 Jun 2017 , 7:00pm
post #13 of 15

I am totally cool with making whatever the customer requests, but they would specifically have to request it. I too am hesitant with providing a boxed cake mix (even doctored) instead of a from-scratch cake as that's what I pride myself on, and stand for. I would think I'm "cheating too" to "cheaped out" too if I used boxed mix unless specifically requested by that customer. But yes, then comes the dilemma of other people who taste said boxed mixed cake and thinking that's what I do.... I guess that's where you just have to explain things to customers if it's brought up.

And yes I agree, not to sound like a snob, but boxed mixes are chemicals and sadness! lol It's the same as the diff. between processed cheese vs. real cheese for me! :o

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2017 , 9:59pm
post #14 of 15

what about pillsbury simple cake mix?

http://www.pillsburybaking.com/products/purely-simple-cake/white-cake

there's just no right or wrong here -- if you pride yourself on baking scratch --- do that -- if you want something else do that --- the lines are quite blurred on all this stuff -- don't make me whip out my "twinkies are from scratch" line hahaha blush

most of the prepared packaged foods in stores are 'from scratch' and they suck --

who cares? 

it's not the ingredients, guys, it's the baker -- i think we can all agree on that 

mkcherry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkcherry Posted 12 Jun 2017 , 10:18pm
post #15 of 15

I think saying mass batch, mediocre, prepared foods marketed at the lowest common denominator (so basically unseasoned) are gross is 1. Obvious and 2. Disinegenous. Supermarket foods are not "scratch made" and I wouldn't serve someone or charge what I do for supermarket prepared cake (not speaking of doctored cake mix) anymore than I would serve supermarket meatloaf

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%