Alternative To Gold Dust With Vodka

Baking By Skellycube Updated 24 May 2017 , 11:39pm by SandraSmiley

Skellycube Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skellycube Posted 24 May 2017 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make fondant gems shimmer, so I was going to use gold dust and vodka, but it turns out the bride I'm making the cake for is allergic to alcohol. I know it'll evaporate and she can avoid eating the gems, but just to be safe, is there any alternative to mixing the dust with alcohol?

4 replies
mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 24 May 2017 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 5

You might receive advices to use lemon or vanilla extracts. Please read the whole ingredient list as most extracts are made with alcohol. Water might be your best option, it might take a while to dry out though.  Or you can find alcohol free vanilla extracts either online or at specialty food markets (eg Trader Joes). Good luck smile

Rosemary7391 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosemary7391 Posted 24 May 2017 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 5

You might be better off buying an alcohol free food paint, if you can find one. Or a spray - just found one by PME that is advertised as alcohol free. Not all dusts will dissolve well in water, so try it with a little bit first.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 May 2017 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 5

I remember reading that some have used dusts w/oil (yes, just plain salad oil) with one major drawback - it *NEVER!* dries.  Any touch will disturb it. Since I never tried this I cannot say how bad etc.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 May 2017 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 5

As kakeladi said, oil will work or mix your dust with a little Crisco to a consistency similar to oil paint.  But, it does not dry and is very easy to disturb.  If you can get your hands on cocoa butter, it works the same, but does get firm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%