How Much To Charge For This Cake

Business By aldonza Updated 17 May 2017 , 2:13am by aldonza

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 14 May 2017 , 1:44am
post #1 of 10

Hi! I'm just starting out and would like to know if my price point is in the same ballpark. I used a program to figure out. Didn't realize how much I spend on ingredients whoa! It is 2-layers double chocolate layer cake, buttercream frosting, ganache, chocolate covered strawberries and chocolate brittle. Thank you. you might have to scroll to see the pic...I did.

9 replies
aldonza Posted 14 May 2017 , 1:47am
post #2 of 10

How Much To Charge For This Cake

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 May 2017 , 2:33am
post #3 of 10

I am not much help Aldonza, because I sell very few cakes and never anything like this.  I have heard, though, that some bakers triple the cost of their expenses and add a bit extra for their time.  Maybe that is a starting place anyway.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 May 2017 , 11:16am
post #4 of 10

idk $150?

FlRugbyChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlRugbyChick Posted 15 May 2017 , 3:18am
post #5 of 10

I  would change $75 to $100 for an 8in cake like this depending on the cost of ingredients. Another tip, you should cover the cake board in foil. Also, I normally use 2 of those boards hot glued together. Early in my cake career I would use a single board to save money. It wasn't until I made a cake, picked it up, and it cracked down the middle, that I realized that the small expense is worth it.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 15 May 2017 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 10

I figure it like this:

Cost of ingredients +  (total number of hours to make (baking and deco) x price per hour).  You have to set your price per hour.  I would say at least $10 per hour, maybe more depending on where you live.

kristiemarie Posted 15 May 2017 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 10

Also, don't forget you are doing something someone else cannot.  Don't undervalue your talent!

You might want to make sure your are giving at least an estimate to your client prior to buying anything.  That way, there isn't a surprise and if the client can't afford the price, you can adjust and find a design within their budget.

aldonza Posted 16 May 2017 , 12:23am
post #8 of 10

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the input. Yes foil definitely (this was a freebie for a co-worker's bday). @FlRugbyChick ‍   My ingredients plus box and board were $34.44 and If I paid myself min wage at $8/hr @ 6 hrs  =$48 it would be $81.44. If it were $10/hr for 6 hours it would be $94.44 so definitely in the "ballpark." I just couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that number.

kristiemarie Posted 16 May 2017 , 2:54pm
post #9 of 10

Aldonza, Walmart bakers make at least minimum wage...your skill set is higher so $10-15 an hour is certainly reasonable.  

You will definitely have people who think that's too high but those aren't your clients.  

Don't undervalue yourself!!  

aldonza Posted 17 May 2017 , 2:13am
post #10 of 10

you guys are awesome thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%