Help!!

Decorating By gourmet_gateaux Updated 8 Jun 2017 , 9:43am by gourmet_gateaux

gourmet_gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmet_gateaux Posted 12 May 2017 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 3

Hi guys,

I could seriously use some advice!

So I've made a chocolate orange cake and used the same buttercream, but in my cream I've used fresh orange juice along with the zest. Now the problem is, I've sandwiched it with the buttercream and cherry jam but because my cake is too soft, and the cream slippery, my middle layer keeps sliding off.

I haven't yet crumb coated it as I've just refrigerated it to get some stability. I forgot to add a bit of corn flour in the cream I used to sandwich the cake and I'm taking it in my car boot from Up North to Down South tomorrow. Once it's completed with fondant, Will it last or will it topple over? Or should I get another batch in the oven?

Thank you!!!!! :-)

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 May 2017 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 3

Are you sure the cake layers are *level*?  I have never had layers slip apart from using jam, jelly &/or icing :(   Yes, once it's completed w/fondant is should hold together if the layers are level.  You also could put a few dowels (use plastic drink straws) to help hold it.   I don't know what you mean when you say the cake is too soft......here in the US we always use what I bet you call 'soft cake'.  And I did 99% of my caking in b'cream.   Maybe you need to use less liquid in the b'cream.......or thicken it up w/more powdered sugar/cornstarch (cornflour?) to it's not too slippery (sp?).  I really don't think your problem is with the *cake* but w/the b'cream. 

gourmet_gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmet_gateaux Posted 8 Jun 2017 , 9:43am
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, problem was not with the cake. I meant my cake was freshly baked and wasn't sent. Freshly baked cakes are always too soft and everytime I put it together, the cake would break. I managed to make a new batch of both, cake and buttercream which fixed it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%