How Much Would You Charge For This Cake?

Business By Jngrawehr Updated 15 May 2017 , 2:28pm by kristiemarie

Jngrawehr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jngrawehr Posted 3 May 2017 , 2:59am
post #1 of 12

Someone asked me to make this cake for 50 people, fill it with cannoli cream filling and deliver it. Then of course adding in my time and effort. How much would you charge?? I know my price but the person is giving me a hard time about it so I wanted experienced opinions. Thank you all!! How Much Would You Charge For This Cake?

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 May 2017 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 12

If you could take the time to do a search on this site you will see how difficult pricing is - how many different factors enter into the picture.   Just remember, not everyone who wants a cake can afford a *special creation* - which is what that pic is all about.  Our time should not come cheap.    I have no idea what your price is but what if you decided to lower it a bit......how much difference is there between what you want and what the customer is willing to pay?

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 3 May 2017 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 12

I typically charge $3 per serving which would make a 50 serving cake $150.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 May 2017 , 7:51am
post #4 of 12

a sculpture oughta start at least $5 $6 a serving then the cannoli filling adds to the drama -- delivery is $1 a mile both ways -- time/gas, wear & tear on car & nerves -- $1 a mile is a bargain -- 

an idea to get your point across -- for example if your friend got an undecorated single serving lava cake at domino's for all of her friends -- it's about $2.50 a serving last i knew -- so it's no stretch to realize for 50 peeps that's $125 -- peeps don't necessarily do the math -- they think cake is inexpensive -- it could be if she made a sheet cake herself, ditched the cannoli filling, bought the boxes & board -- tossed it in her own car and took it with her -- but not for that cute patootie kitty cat --

other restaurant's desserts certainly start much higher and they don't typically make sculptures out of them -- so your friend needs to cough up or pay up -- 

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 4 May 2017 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 12

Quote by @Jngrawehr on 1 day ago

" I know my price but the person is giving me a hard time about it so I wanted experienced opinions. Thank you all!! "

That sentence alone should tell you to pass on this one:

1.  If you are willing to haggle on price, word will spread fast that you can be talked down.

2.  If cost if the driving factor rather than quality, they'll be just as happy with an inferior cake from a deli/bakery/less talented baker so long as the price is right.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 5 May 2017 , 2:23am
post #6 of 12

Just an observance....for a host to invite 50 people to a party and then wish to go cheap on the main event *the Cake* is beyond deplorable.  

smh

SugarBuzzCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBuzzCC Posted 5 May 2017 , 4:14am
post #7 of 12

Using my own pricing system, I'm coming up with $160.  Over the years I've learned not to undervalue my time, even when it means turning down a cake, which I just hate to do!

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 5 May 2017 , 12:46pm
post #8 of 12

This cake is from a cartoon....Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood (Mr. Roger's Neighborhood spin-off - Daniel lived in the Land of Make Believe).  Anyway, this episode was about Daniel's 5th birthday and the baker let him help decorate his own cake, so he picked out the tiger cake and decorated it himself.  On the way home, he had a cakers worst nightmare happen - the cake was not transported carefully (as he had to hold it himself) and was a mess by the time he got home.  No longer resembled a tiger.....

So, all of this to say, if they want to cheap out, you just make a messy version of it (spending no more time on it than they are willing to pay) and it would be more within the theme of the episode as well smiley   Having to secure that head, so it doesn't fall and the anxiety with it, no way would I take less than $175.

Jngrawehr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jngrawehr Posted 5 May 2017 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 12

@640Cake ‍ I ended up watching the episode joy I decided to just make the head out of rice krispie treats so that I don't have the anxiety from it falling off lol! I wouldn't even know how to begin with making that out of cake  and making it stay lol!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 May 2017 , 7:48pm
post #10 of 12

sugarbuzz -- don't you think a sculpture at about $3 a serving is a little bit on the almost too low side ?

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 15 May 2017 , 2:26pm
post #11 of 12

Always always always do a price quote/estimate before buying anything!  That way you are upfront about the cost and you can adjust the design if the client doesn't have it in their budget.  

Makes for a much smoother transaction.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 15 May 2017 , 2:28pm
post #12 of 12

Oh and stick with your price.  You set it there for a reason.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%