Who Provides The Non-Edible Cupcake Toppers?

Business By bakemeenchanted Updated 8 Jun 2017 , 9:08am by mkcherry

bakemeenchanted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeenchanted Posted 29 Apr 2017 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all!

I've had a few requests for cupcakes with unique non-edible toppers, usually one of those ones on a toothpick. Whose job is it to buy/ make them? Mine or the customer's?

I made some once for a close friend and despised it with a passion, so I've refused to do it since. Some customers still insist on me making them, saying they're part of the decorations, but usually when I tell them how much extra I'll charge they change their minds.

How do you guys usually go about it? Also individually packing cupcakes to be given away as favours or whatever by the customer. My job or theirs?

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Apr 2017 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 6

Charge out the wahzoo for toppers if you really don't want to make them.  After all you are charging for your time and talent to come up with something unique and probably won't ever use again.   As for packaging that probably should be your job but again charge extra for your time. 

bakemeenchanted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeenchanted Posted 30 Apr 2017 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks kakeladi! Yup toppers are definitely not something I want to offer, so like you suggested I'll charge EXACTLY what they're worth and then no one will want them lol!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 1 May 2017 , 10:21am
post #4 of 6

Make it a policy than non-edible toppers are the customers responsibility.

cakesbytamara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbytamara Posted 3 May 2017 , 5:37am
post #5 of 6

I'd ask the customer what they want and look up a listing on Etsy and provide them with that option. Maybe team up with an Etsy seller to make your orders. Present it as the toppers are custom ordered. I know it's not profit for you (unless you charge a bit more than the seller). That's probably what I would do. 

mkcherry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkcherry Posted 8 Jun 2017 , 9:08am
post #6 of 6

unles sits something crazy simple I just say no or suggest a price i know they will think is outrageous but is fair for the amount of detailed irritating work involved. I send or show etsy listings for toppers to my clients all the time, usually it goes one of two ways 1. they know what they want and what it cost and are willing to pay for it and have it shipped to me. 2. they have no idea what detailed hand made items cost and immediately changed their minds and settle on something else. As far as toys like for example I made Frozen cupcakes with all of the characters on top or my little pony characters for a cake, I just order the miniatures through amazon and they are delivered in 1-2 days maximum, I roll the price int the customers order plus a small convenience fee and take payment before I order the toys. 

I believe its the bakers job to box the cupcakes in whatever container is agreed upon. I charge one price for a dozen cupcakes. I charge a different price for what I call " individual cupcake favors" which are more expensive and have a nice tag on them or a for a fee a printed sticker. The customer needs to pay for the difference in time and how expensive individual packaging is. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%