Cake Structure

Decorating By Maria88 Updated 25 Apr 2017 , 3:24am by Maria88

Maria88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria88 Posted 24 Apr 2017 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I'm new to CC and also fairly new to baking. My question is, how do I ensure proper cake support on a 2 tiered cake? I recently had a client who needed to transport her cake a long distance (approximately a 2 hour drive). Sadly, the cake did not make it, the top tier slid half way off the bottom tier. Should I have inserted a wooden dowl down the center of the cake for more stability?

Cake StructureCake Structure

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Apr 2017 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 6

You did a very pretty cake.......what a pity it suffered such a demise :(       There are several ways to help w/delivery problems.   A very cold cake travels much better.  Using a good support system also helps.   A center dowel can give false security....too many people rely on it much too much :(    There is also system that leah touts that is very good........which I cannot for the life of me remember now what it's called  but someone will jump in and tell you.    Lastly customers need to be told (in no uncertain terms!) that they must drive like a 'little old lady'.......no sharp/sudden turns, stops, etc etc.

Maria88 Posted 24 Apr 2017 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you! I'll have to do some research on the system you mentioned. Going forward, I will stress to the client that they must drive like a "little old lady". I've delivered caked that size several times and haven't had any issues, as of yet, so I'm thinking maybe 2 hours is just too far.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Apr 2017 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 6

The amount of time really isn't that important.........unless is blazin hot! :)   I've delivered cakes as much as 3 hrs away w/o problems and then some just 10-15 minues away & almost lost it entirely.  It definately is how its supported and how one drives....and how cold it is.

BakerBlackCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBlackCat Posted 25 Apr 2017 , 1:55am
post #5 of 6

The highly recommended system is SPS - Single Plate Separators.  I get mine at Bakery Crafts/Deco-Pac, but I know Global Sugar Art and a couple other places sell them too.  @leah_s ‍ is absolutely right about how great it is - I've delivered stacked 4-tier cakes in 105ºF weather with a 2-hour one-way drive and the cakes did not budge an inch!

(Granted, I have signs all over the car saying Wedding Cake On Board, drive like an old lady, and take forever to get going from a full stop...but that's another aspect entirely...)

Maria88 Posted 25 Apr 2017 , 3:24am
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much! I will definitely look into these. smiley

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%