Baking With A Heat Core - Yes Or No?

Baking By naetoile Updated 18 Feb 2017 , 5:56am by MimiFix

naetoile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naetoile Posted 14 Feb 2017 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 7

I need to bake a 10" round cake (my cake pan is 3" tall)  .....I'm using the How to Cake it chocolate recipe, just wondering is it ABSOLUTELY necassary to use a heating core (flower nail in my case)? The recipe says to bake at 350o for 1hr 20min for my pan.

She doesn't use any type of heating core in her videos, but I baked her Vanilla cake once and it took a LONG time to cook and the edges came out too dark and over baked.

I have baked the chocolate cake before in my 10" with a flower nail, but it never domed like her recipe does. It didn't completely cave either, but it did get a little dip in the middle. I also didn't bake it for the full 1hr and 20 mins either....as I JUST saw timing on the recipe site (my bad!)

Any advice? Use the flower nail and bake for the stated amount of time? Or no flower nail.......would that need longer?

I'm so confused!! Advise would be great!!

6 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 15 Feb 2017 , 5:12am
post #2 of 7

Can't hurt to chuck a flower nail in there! I use flower nails for my heating cores too - I don't like those bigger ones.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 15 Feb 2017 , 5:13am
post #3 of 7

Can't hurt to chuck a flower nail in there! I use flower nails for my heating cores too - I don't like those bigger ones.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Feb 2017 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 7

I never used 3" deep pans.  In  my 2" deep ones I never used even a flower nail much less a heat core.  Personally I think it's a waste of time as the core never really fits into the hole and probably compromises the cake.   Any cake under 14" round/sq should bake up just fine w/o any help.   I've even baked 16" rounds w/o any 'help'.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 16 Feb 2017 , 1:27am
post #5 of 7

I've never used heating cores or nails. I'm in agreement with @leah_s ‍.  For larger pans, drop your heat and bake for a longer time - until they are done.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 16 Feb 2017 , 11:51am
post #6 of 7

I, too, have never used a baking core or nails. For larger cakes, drop your temp and bake longer. As @leah_s ‍ said: bake until done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%