Naked 3 Tier Wedding Cake

Baking By Apercival04 Updated 4 Aug 2017 , 2:17pm by JasmineNewton

Apercival04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apercival04 Posted 4 Feb 2017 , 11:52am
post #1 of 6

Hi, sorry to sound stupid...by what is crumbing? And how do you do it to stop the cribs from the cake mixing in with your BC? 

i am completely new to this and make cakes at home as a hobby for me, however I want to attempt to make my own naked 3 tiered wedding cake with BC and jam (please advise if Jam aswell is not a good idea?) and icing sugar sprinkled over the too with strawberries and blueberries over the top. 

trouble is, I will have to make the cake 2 days before the wedding...will the cake keep for this amount of time? And what is the best way/place to store it? I could Do the BC the day before at the venue but won't have time to do this on the morning of the wedding!

thanks 

Aimee

5 replies
ConnieCakes14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieCakes14 Posted 4 Feb 2017 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 6

Crumb coat is the first thin layer of frosting spread over the cake. It helps "glue" the crumbs and keeps the little crumbs from getting everywhere. It will look very messy. I do a super thin layer covering the whole cake, then freeze the cake for 20 minutes getting the frosting stiff, then add the second, thicker layer of frosting. The second layer will be free of crumbs and looking clean, because the crumbs were "glued" in the first thin layer of frosting.

Here's some good info on naked cakes. This person suggest putting the cake together the day of the wedding. Which makes sense because frosting acts as a barrier help keep the cake moist. But with very little frosting on a naked cake, it will dry quickly. http://www.stylesweetca.com/blog/2016/1/6/how-to-make-a-naked-cake
 Hope this helps!

ConnieCakes14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieCakes14 Posted 4 Feb 2017 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 6

make my own fillings. It's actually very simple! 

First, for strawberry filling: I add a bag of frozen whole strawberries in a sauce pan, a couple tbs of sugar, and a bit of water and bring it to a boil. let it simmer until the strawberries start to break down (I mash it with a fork to speed up the process). Then I add a couple drops of lemon juice, and a tbs of cornstarch for thickening (mix the starch in cold water first). let cool. If the filling is too runny just heat it back up and add more cornstarch. You'd want it the consistency of thick jam. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Feb 2017 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 6

a pound cake recipe would be the most reasonable to use and would hold up well because a crusty edged, creamy inside pound cake is heavenly -- the crusty edges are like a sweet crunchy lovely cookie-ish type crust -- and the fruit would be great with it --

the most important thing is to test this way before your wedding when things are not so intense -- do everything including loading it into your car and driving around with it -- unless you are baking in the same location as the reception --

i'll link you to my favorite recipe --

and how many servings?

trisha has this written out so i'll post her link but i've been making this recipe for a looooong time -- note that you put this in a cold oven -- do not preheat oven -- so you could bake over a couple days even --

and you can use cake flour for a finer crumb -- a little bit lighter result than all purpose flour gives --

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/cold-oven-poundcake-recipe.html

and please tell me how many servings you need or what size tiers you want -- thanks

Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 4 Feb 2017 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 6

Craftsy has a post with excellent tips on naked cakes that I love.

https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2015/05/naked-cake-tips/

This site shows some very creative naked cake designs....I love that ombré cake!  

http://apracticalwedding.com/naked-cakes/

Is it possible to recruit a friend to add final touches to cake?

K8memephis suggestion of pound cake is very good for all the reasons she stated.  And too, pound cake takes simple syrup beautifully.  Simple syrup will ensure a moist cake.  Just  heat to a near boil equal parts sugar and liquid.  Liquid can be water, fresh juice or combination of both.  When I add a liqueur, I like about 1 tablespoon to 1 1/2 tablespoons per cup of simple syrup.

In my own experience, fresh berries are best purchased and added onto the cakes at the very last minute.  From fresh, to mushy, to rotten seems to be accelerated at the slightest hint of moisture on fresh whole berries.  I wash, then spread berries over clean tea towels, very gently pat to remove as much water as possible.  I then spread the berries on dry clean towels to completely air dry before using or storing.

I like to lightly brush fresh berries with a preserve glaze to help preserve then, and keep then in place.  I heat apricot preserves with a bit of water, then strain with a fine mesh sieve.  Apply the grave while it's warm, but not hot.  Apricot is a very neutral flavor, so it doesn't really change the fruit flavor. It'll add some sweetness if you have a few bland berries in the bunch.   But of course, the glaze does add shine to the fruit, so that is an aesthetic consideration.

i find a cake will absorb icing sugar as the cake sits.  It's always so pretty when freshly sprinkled, but in a few hours time it can look molted.  The more last minute for adding icing sugar, the better. 

Congratulations and best of wishes on your upcoming wedding...

JasmineNewton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JasmineNewton Posted 4 Aug 2017 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for your website! I think here http://www.weddingforward.com/disney-wedding-dresses/ you will find something interesting information. Weddings are always a big deal because everyone wants to make it unforgettable. The resource has always helped me to get some inspiration for creative wedding ideas. Just look at the dishes published here – so many interesting examples! It is what every woman needs for wedding preparation.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%