BBC Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BBC Cake Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 11

[postimage id="6359" thumb="900"]

10 replies
JustOneMoreCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustOneMoreCake Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 12:53am
post #2 of 11

I can't tell if it's fondant or buttercream for the base (it looks a little 'shopped) but I"m thinking trimmed sheets of acetate pressed against the cake (gently) and the mixture applied  on top of that - then lift acetate.  If it's fondant, then maybe do the same but spread a thin layer of buttercream or melted white chocolate first.  I think maybe I do see an underlayer of something white so my guess is that it's the second way.

This is my kind of decorating since I'm hopeless with a piping bag!

Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 5:12am
post #3 of 11

Cannot advise on the chocolate dripping because I've never done it.

But I've stuck stuff to fondant, assuming its fondant...But first a disclaimer: I'm not a big fan of fondant, and no one in my circle if friends and family likes fondant, so I only use it occasionally.  My experience sticking stuff on fondant is limited to classes.  To be honest, I can't remember if I used tylose or piping gel.  

Chill your cake, not sure why that was important, but the instructor insisted our cakes were refrigerated the day before.

Use a pastry brush and apply a thin, even coating of tylose/piping gel over all areas you want to apply the decoration.

Given the geometric design, I'd make a template of the design out of acetate, wrap it around the cake to ensure piping gel is only applied where  the confetti candy is going to be applied.  And I'd work over small areas at a time. 

after tylose/piping gel is applied, press on confetti.  You'll need to do some touch up by using a small art brush to reapply tylose/piping gel in spots where the confetti didn't stick.  If you use larger, heavy pieces, you will probably have to apply a dot of tylose/piping gel on spot you want to apply the piece, then hold the piece in place for a minute until it sets.  I had hold some wafer paper flowers in place, which weren't very heavy.  

My decorations help up fine through a nearly 2 hr drive home in July heat. 

Sorry I can't be of more help.

ilickthebowl23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilickthebowl23 Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 6:33am
post #4 of 11

The drip is black candy melts. Since I only go to Michaels, I can tell you, you can find it there for sure.

Cake looks like fondant. after your applied fondant, use a ruler to make FAINT( I MEAN REALLY FAINT) indents to make the areas going all around. Then go in with a brush and LIGHTLY dampen the area with water( be precise). Put sprinkles in hand, lightly press on to dampened area, use tweezers to alighn sprinkles near edges. Good luck!

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 11

Great cake.  Like others, I'm not sure how to get those "drips" so perfect, but I'm guessing the confetti triangles are stuck on.  Would work on either buttercream or fondant. Go with your customer, or your strengths on that.

Looks like they have rolled out a sheet of fondant, then coated with thin royal, or piping gel. Cover completely with sprinkles/confetti/candy, press in lightly and let dry a bit....but not long enough for the fondant sheet(s) to harden.  Then with a knife or pizza wheel, cut out triangles the size you need.  Carefully tidy up any rough edges or broken bits.  Alternatively, cut the triangles first, and stick on the confetti bits, keeping nice clean edges.

Lift the triangles, set the bottom on to the base plate close to the cake, slide in and carefully press them into the buttercream.  If it's fondant on fondant, lift the triangles and hold with your hand on the confetti side and brush with a very light coat of  water/vodka/clear extract. Then place and press the triangles on to the fondant. 

I think I said "carefully" 2 or 3 times.  It will definitely be a delicate and tricky procedure, but feel it will be easier to get those nice sharp edges than pressing them directly on to the cake.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 11

My computer is acting funny.  Meant to finish with "Good Luck". Have fun and post a picture when you're done.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 11

I think the overall icing on this cake could be either fondant or well smoothed b'cream.  Then the triangles are fondant covered w/sprinkles.   I would cut the triangles out, very lightly coat them w/piping gel (or possibly just water) and cover w/the sprinkles.  Using piping gel probably will give the best chance of the sprinkles sticking.  As another poster said you could also cover the fondant triangles w/b'cream or melted white choco but again, the piping gel would give best sticking.

And rather than just sprinkles it definitely looks like the made a mixture of tiny dots, balls, sprinkles etc.  Maybe there is a mixture like that ready mixed. but I have never seen it.

The dripping on top is melted chocolate.  I have done similar using melted b'cream but this looks more like choco as it is thicker.  You probably could find a video on YouTube on exactly how to do it....it's hard to put into works unless you have seen someone do it.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 6:49pm
post #8 of 11

If you don't have the confidence for the above suggestions (lol) why not make some thin chocolate bark (thin) with white (to match the cake background) score it into the shapes you want and then sprinkle your sprinklemix.  It'll be neat but if you do it flat it may not line up as well on a round cake or you can let it dry on a curved surface.  For me, megasprinkling a cake always turns out a bit messier (on my table!) than I  wanted but either way put your cake on a sheet pan while you're doing it to catch whatever doesn't stick to the cake.  I do it on buttercream cakes, no piping gel required.

Good luck

T

BBC Cake Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 8:29pm
post #9 of 11

You guys are the BESTTT°°° 

I was freaking out and but not anymore knowing this forum is amazing for helping people like me. I will go with cutting fondant sheets out like triangles, pasting the confetti and then and pasting the triangles onto my buttercream cake. I think it will make it clean and give it sharp edges.  

I am so grateful for all the suggestion.it's really HELPED me tremendously. 

You guys Rock!

BBC Cake Posted 4 Feb 2017 , 12:54am
post #10 of 11

PERFECT!!! its what im going to do..

You are a star :) :)

CakeBren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBren Posted 5 Feb 2017 , 12:51am
post #11 of 11

Looks like a genius way to get rid of all of those old sprinkles that will never have another use!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%