Sinking Cake

Baking By Baker1907 Updated 2 Feb 2017 , 6:40pm by Siftandwisk2

Baker1907 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker1907 Posted 1 Feb 2017 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 15

My scratch yellow cake is sinking in the middle during cooking. I have sifted the cake flour, beat the egg whites stiff and as gently as I could, folded them into the batter!!

What am I doing wrong?? Please help

14 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Feb 2017 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 15

Is there leavening other than the egg whites?

Baker1907 Posted 1 Feb 2017 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 15

Huh? Sorry, could you please explain?

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 1 Feb 2017 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 15

Could be not enough flour, or temperature is too high.

Baker1907 Posted 1 Feb 2017 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 15

This is the recipe:

1 c. Unsalted butter, room temp

2 c. White sugar

2 eggs separated, room temp

3 tsp. Vanilla

2 c. Cake flour 

1 tbsp. Baking powder

1 tsp. Salt

1 c. Buttermilk, room temp

Baker1907 Posted 1 Feb 2017 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 15

It s some of the best light and fluffy cake u have ever tasted 

IF I didn't sink!!

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 1 Feb 2017 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 15

I'm no expert on recipes but usually recipes with buttermilk take a combination of baking powder and baking soda.  That may be the problem.  The amount of baking powder seems excessive to me. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 12:10am
post #8 of 15

Agreed.  I would have expected some baking soda.  However, a Tablespoon of Baking Powder?  Whoa, that seems like a lot.  But then, I always worked in large batches, where I weighed everything, even the leavening . . .

JerryLINY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JerryLINY Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 12:30am
post #9 of 15

Liquid to sugar ratio is off:

Recipe calls for  11.4 oz liquid (8oz buttermilk + 3.4 oz from eggs) and 14 oz sugar

According to cake recipe guidelines liquid should = or exceed sugar so you need another 3 oz liquid

Also weight of eggs should be same as or a little more than weight of fat

Recipe calls for 3.4 oz eggs and 8 oz butter 

Adding another egg or two would strengthen structure as well as add the additional liquid needed

Baker1907 Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 12:54am
post #10 of 15

Thank you for all the advice!!!

Goreti and leah_s how much baking powder and baking soda would u recommend?

Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 1:39am
post #11 of 15

I seriously do not think the problem is you, rather it's the recipe.

1. Beating egg whites and folding into batter is indicative of a foam cake (e.g., sponge, genoise, Angel food)

2. Foam cakes by design to not contain leavening (exception is a variation called a Chiffon cake)

3. This recipe contains leavening, but the amount is excessive.

4. The standard ratio flour to baking powder is 1 teaspoon baking powder to 1 cup of flour.

5. While both egg yolks and whites can be used as leavening, whites provide better stability and strength.  Still, you need sufficient egg to flour ratio.  Two egg whites is insufficient for two cups of flour.  Even in a chiffon cake with leavening, there's a lot more than egg (usually 5 or 6 eggs to 2 1/2 cups flour).

6. A Chiffon cake is a butter cake that uses foam for leavening, yet contains baking powder.  Egg yolks are separated and mixed with dry ingredients; egg whites beaten and folded in.  But a Chiffon usually contains oil, not butter. A chiffon cake also contains about 3 times more egg.  So even if your recipe is a chiffon, it deviates from the standard.

7. Fat will destroy a foam cake.  if there's fat in the recipe, the cake pan must be UNGREASED.

8. Like JerryLINY pointed out--wow, that's a lot of liquid.

9. Foam cakes are best make with bleached cake flour.  Fat and unbleached cake flour are the bane of a foam cake.  Any recipe that uses foam techiques should clearly state bleached cake flour. 

Baker1907 Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 2:12pm
post #12 of 15

Ok, so I will just delete that recipe. Can anyone suggest a scratch yellow cake recipe that is light and fluffy? I have tried too many to count and still haven't found the right one.

Thanks

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 4:28pm
post #13 of 15

Quote by @Baker1907 on 16 hours ago

This is the recipe:

1 c. Unsalted butter, room temp

2 c. White sugar

2 eggs separated, room temp

3 tsp. Vanilla

2 c. Cake flour 

1 tbsp. Baking powder

1 tsp. Salt

1 c. Buttermilk, room temp

This is very similar to the 1-2-3-4 cake.   Try INCREASING the flour to three cups, eggs to 4, and decrease the baking powder to two teaspoons.  Personally, I've never really seen any major difference in beating egg whites separately...try just adding the whole eggs as you would the yolks.

Baker1907 Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 5:59pm
post #14 of 15

Thank you Jeff_Arnett. I will try that!

Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 6:40pm
post #15 of 15

Baker1907,

Have your tried Gretchen Price's yellow sponge cake?  She a professional baker, so she includes both weight and volume measurements for her recipes.  She includes a video.  Plus, she is so incredibly engaged with her followers/fans; when questions are left in her comments section, she usually responds. 

http://www.gretchensbakery.com/yellow-sponge-cake-recipe/

Quote by @Baker1907 on 4 hours ago

Ok, so I will just delete that recipe. Can anyone suggest a scratch yellow cake recipe that is light and fluffy? I have tried too many to count and still haven't found the right one.

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%