Sheet Cake Pricing

Baking By jpjones-1 Updated 1 Feb 2017 , 3:21am by jpjones-1

jpjones-1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpjones-1 Posted 30 Jan 2017 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 4

I was asked to make an 11X15 sheet cake to feed 40 people as a farewell cake. I normally charge $3.00 a slice of cake for wedding and birthdays. But since a sheet cake is different, I am not sure of what to charge them.   Would someone please give me some guidance?  Thank you in advance.

3 replies
Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 30 Jan 2017 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 4

Market rate is specific to area.  Where I live, wedding cakes start at $9/serving; catering starts $125/per plate; photography average is $5.000; venue average $12,000.  

You will need to research market rate in your area; then calculate your costs and profit margin from there.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Jan 2017 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 4

In general a sheet cake is the same as a birthday cake.......your pricing is *very!* low.  I suggest you check on the pricing of cakes at any local grocery store or 'stand alone' bakery to see what the 'going price' is in your area then probably up that by $5.   It's hard to say because you have not posted any pix of your work so we don't know your skill level.........maybe you do super great special cakes but maybe you are only a 'newby'.  I don't mean that in a nasty way....just trying to point out that pricing depends somewhat on skill level.

jpjones-1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpjones-1 Posted 1 Feb 2017 , 3:21am
post #4 of 4

Thank you all for the comments I will check in my area to see what the various cake pricing.   I haven't posted any of my cakes on this forum but I've posted many on Facebook.  I will post some soon.  Thank you again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%