Keeping Cake Board Clean?

Baking By Simply_sweet_cupcakes16 Updated 31 Jan 2017 , 12:03am by Simply_sweet_cupcakes16

Simply_sweet_cupcakes16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Simply_sweet_cupcakes16 Posted 30 Jan 2017 , 1:57am
post #1 of 9

I am new to cakes normally do cupcakes. Every time I do a cake the board looks yet and dirty.. How do I fix this? Is my board too big?  

This is before it was cut. You can kind of see it [postimage id="6327" thumb="900"]after being cut so it's more messy but the wet spots are what I am asking about [postimage id="6328" thumb="900"]

8 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 30 Jan 2017 , 2:12am
post #2 of 9

Use a cake drum, it doesn't soak up the oils from the cake, or cover your cake circles, search the site and you'll find some pretty good ideas. 

Simply_sweet_cupcakes16 Posted 30 Jan 2017 , 2:17am
post #3 of 9

I will look into a drum, I've never heard of it before. I'm solo new lol

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 30 Jan 2017 , 4:03am
post #4 of 9

Lol it's ok, we all learn something new daily. Drums can be pricey, but you can cover your cake circles in a decorative way, too. 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 30 Jan 2017 , 5:04am
post #5 of 9

Most of your decorating should be done on a cake circle that is the same size as your cake. Once iced and set you then move your cake onto the display board and add any final touches such as placing the strawberries etc.

Personally I would add the choc covered strawberries after they had set up on baking paper first. Place a small dot of melted chocolate/ icing etc where you want to put them to hold them in place rather than adding the strawberries while they are still dripping.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 30 Jan 2017 , 5:08am
post #6 of 9

On a side note I would also not use the uncovered cardboard board as my display plate. It looks tacky and I wouldn't want to eat the strawberries that no doubt suck to it.

If it for family however then serve it as you wish as you know if they will care or not.

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 30 Jan 2017 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 9

Here is an easy fix!

Cut 3 sheets of wax paper, arrange them on your cake board in a triangular shape, place your cake, decorate said cake, and slowly pull out the sheets of wax paper once done :) This would leave you board clean :) good luck!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Jan 2017 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 9

Most cake circle/boards have a matching (in size) doily/paper that one would put on the cake board.  OR cover it w/fondant OR shelf liner.    I usually used shelf liner that I cut 2-3" larger and tucked/taped the ends onto the back

Simply_sweet_cupcakes16 Posted 31 Jan 2017 , 12:03am
post #9 of 9

A lot of great ideas thank all of you!! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%