Cake Process Advice

Decorating By ilickthebowl23 Updated 3 Feb 2017 , 6:56pm by kakeladi

ilickthebowl23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilickthebowl23 Posted 29 Jan 2017 , 5:14am
post #1 of 11

Hi all! Thanks in advance for any and all help! It is greatly appreciated.

I'm going to be making a cake. 2 tiers, stabilized with "bubba" straws( it think that's the name, ideas on this process are welcome, i didn't feel it was as stable as it should be). Buttercream outside, with gum paste and fondant deco. I'd like to hear others' time table, on how they put together their cake. For example, i bake on the 4th, make details on the 5th, build the night before/morning of( Should I refrigerate after fully frosting before adding fondant/gumpaste deco?) and store in the fridge( what temp so it doesn't sweat? & how long can i store it prior to delivery). (I am delivering, and would also like advice on how to transport to limit moving, & am leaning/more like fell on traveling with the tiers separate, and building on site).

10 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 29 Jan 2017 , 7:07am
post #2 of 11

Depending on what time you have to deliver the cake I'd bake it on day 1 (so it has time to cool), make icing etc. Fill and ice on day 2, chill for a few hours in the fridge and deliver.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jan 2017 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 11

I generally got supplies on Monday, baked everything for the week on Tuesday, torted and froze everything.  Wednesday, made fillings and frostings.  Thursday, made decos, filled the cakes and weighted them for overnight settling.  Friday, finish frost and decorate, insert the SPS support system.  Saturday, deliver and finish assembling.  I tried to take Sundays off.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Jan 2017 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 11

Using straws for a 2 tier cake is perfectly safe. Usually 3 in a triangle is plenty.  Did it for yrs:)   Do not store fondant in the frig.   Even a b'creamed cake can be left out up to 2 days (but be aware that shortens how long the customer can keep any leftovers.)     You should be able to make icing &/0r fillings while cakes are baking.  I never weighted cakes and had little problems.  The majority of my decorating career was in the '80/'90s before that became a popular thing to do.  I almost always had the cake done the evening before delivery so if any problem arose I could fix it.   There was one time I remember when the (Wilton plastic) plate on a separated tiered cake broke:( 

kakeladi Posted 29 Jan 2017 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 11

To transport use those rubber shelf mats.  If possible use a box - moving boxes come im many sizes and are excellent for this.  Place rubber mat in box, place cake on, place rubber mat on flat! floor of car.  Drive like a little old lady :)   Actually that's not really necessary - just don't be a speed demon - take turns slower than usual and wide if possible.  I delieverd 100s of 3 tiered cakes w/o porblems but there were a few *very!* memorable ones :( 

ilickthebowl23 Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 6:11am
post #6 of 11

Thank you!

ilickthebowl23 Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 6:12am
post #7 of 11

Thank you !

ilickthebowl23 Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 6:13am
post #8 of 11

Thank you!

ilickthebowl23 Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 6:14am
post #9 of 11

Thank you

ilickthebowl23 Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 6:16am
post #10 of 11

After the cake is complete, should i refrigerate before adding fondant deco?

& since I can't refrigerate after the fondant is added, where is the best place to store the cake?

Please and thank you

kakeladi Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 6:56pm
post #11 of 11

..........After the cake is complete, should i refrigerate before adding fondant deco? ............

You can but let it warm up  close to room temp before adding the decos.

Store the finished cake away from heat and light.  I have stored 100s of cakes just on the kitchen counter or in a cupboard.  Best if stored in a cake box. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%