Announcing: H2H Recipe Battles

Baking By Jackie Updated 27 Feb 2017 , 3:31pm by yortma

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 5:08am
post #1 of 14

@LeanneW ‍ and I were brainstorming ideas to bring something new, fun and useful to the forums this year and we hit on an idea we love:

Weekly Head to Head Recipe Battles!

Each week we will post a theme and and two recipes.  We invite any member of the community to make each recipe and post their review.  

Every Wednesday we will announce the new battle and the following Tuesday we will announce the winning recipe!

By announcing the theme on Wednesdays it is our hope this will allow enough time for anyone interested in participating to get the necessary ingredients and make both the recipes.  This should be FUN and informative!

We hope that these detailed reviews from the community will make it easier to choose the best recipe when you are searching on Cake Central.

Here is the review process:

You make each of the two recipes exactly as written.

In the review section of each recipe write a detailed review of the taste, texture and ease of preparation.  Do not make any comparisons or references to the other recipe in those reviews.  Make sure you rate it on the 5 star rater of the recipe page.

Then come back to this forum thread and tell us which one would you make again, why did you prefer one over the other, what did you like about each recipe?

Stay tuned for our first battle, we’ll announce it tomorrow. Hint: both recipes are terrific, you won’t be disappointed.

13 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 14

this is cool -- i'm in -- great idea -- can't wait

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 14

ps. i hope i don't blow my diet -- hahahaha 

not funny, kate!  :)

i might get the munchkin across the street in on this w/me -- we'll see...

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 14

This is a fun and useful idea.  Hopefully people have the time to participate.  Myself I think it would be easier of it were every other week to give two weeks to try the recipes but that's just me.

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 14

We are certainly open to feedback from the community, whatever work for it to be a fun and useful activity.

Quote by @kstevens on 6 minutes ago

This is a fun and useful idea.  Hopefully people have the time to participate.  Myself I think it would be easier of it were every other week to give two weeks to try the recipes but that's just me.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 14

I agree w/kstevens........2 weeks between 'battles'.   And like K8 it will wreck hard fought lovely body!   I live in a Sr. community so don't have munchkins around to offer these to - what, oh what will I do with sooooo much wonderful dessert? 

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 14
LeanneW Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 14

@kstevens @kakeladi ‍ Thanks for your feedback, we agree, 2 weeks to complete a battle is a good timeline. We'll keep the red velvet cupcake voting deadline January 23rd so we can announce the winner on the 24th. In the future you can have 2 weeks.

I'll be making these cupcakes and bringing them to church on Sunday, because I'm not sure what I'd do with 4 dozen cupcakes. With a 2 week window, perhaps you'll have more time to find someone to give your baking to. 

@-K8memphis ‍ you could just have one bite of each, or get the taste and texture feedback from friends and family!

I am so excited for these battles, I already have an idea in my head which one of these Red Velvet Cupcakes I think will be better. I'm curious if I'm right.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Jan 2017 , 1:28am
post #9 of 14

i'll give some of mine to my son-in-law who loves red velvet and i will take the rest to the police station even the ones with the one bite missing  hahahaheheheh jkjkjk

-K8memphis Posted 20 Jan 2017 , 12:31pm
post #10 of 14

idea -- one time maybe do a battle between two decorating processes of some kind? not sure what they would be but maybe something like two different lace recipes or something? just toss this in the idea pot & see what boils up some day :) 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jan 2017 , 10:01pm
post #11 of 14

B'cream piping vs. fondant? 

LeanneW Posted 20 Jan 2017 , 11:38pm
post #12 of 14

great idea @-K8memphis ‍! 

sewcake30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewcake30 Posted 27 Feb 2017 , 4:21am
post #13 of 14

Just wondering why I received all the post for the first battle, but have not received any for the second one?

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 27 Feb 2017 , 3:31pm
post #14 of 14

I was looking forward to it too.  There was a second yellow cake challenge, but the results were never posted, and the whole thing appears to have just been dropped.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%