Help!

Baking By cakezbycait Updated 20 Jan 2017 , 1:29am by -K8memphis

cakezbycait Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakezbycait Posted 13 Jan 2017 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 7

I just had a bride order a brownie cake! (I have never done one before but the picture she showed me is gorgeous).

Essentially she needs it to feed 220 and she wants it naked, with fresh flowers and cream cheese frosting in between the layers. Round and tiered were her only real expectations

Anyone have any input on size's I should use/what I would charge for something like this?

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Jan 2017 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 7

My that assumes that all 220 of her guests love brownies :(   I would try to suggest to her to have at least 1/2 that # in some other flavor cake.  But then, being a naked cake not sure how it will work. 

For sizes, I suggest you look up the Wilton chart of tier sizes.  Also check out Earlene Moore's chart.  They differ some.   What to charge will depend on what your equipment and ingredients etc cost and what your area's market is.  That differs greatly depending on what type of area you are in (ruarl vs big city etc). 

Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 15 Jan 2017 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 7

I haven't a clue on making a brownie cake, but I have to say I've read your post twice and I'm intrigued  to say the least.  Seems like a challenge given brownies don't contain leavening and a lot less flour than a cake.  Where a cake has both volume and gluten structure, brownies are fragile and flat.  

Then there's the crackled top layer on a brownie that is so coveted, bakers try every crazy technique under the sun to achieve it.  Covering it with cream cheese frosting just seems like baker blasphemy.  Perhaps a moment of silence before frosting it over...

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jan 2017 , 11:46am
post #4 of 7

i would have had a discussion about whether she wanted  cakey versus fudgey brownies -- and i would have discussed portion size w/her -- probably would cut the usual serving -- but there's the next hurdle making sure it slices & serves accurately --

i would use the regular serving size -- 1x2x4 if she wanted cake brownies and i would do three layer tiers -- but if she wants fudgey brownies i would do four layer tiers but i'd put a cardboard in between so each serving is only two layers tall -- then the serving size would be adjusted too --

i would charge at least the same or more than a regular cake because there's more to think about and plan for

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jan 2017 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 7

Oh K8 you think of everything:)  I didn't think of the different types of brownies so yes, fudgey vs. cakey will make a bit of a difference.  I also agree w/K8 about charging......more than a 'regular' cake as it will cost more for ingredients and maybe involve more care (read: TIME) to handle them - icing can become a problems as some brownie recipes can produce lots of crumbs. 

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 1:37am
post #6 of 7

Just here to laugh at Siftandwisk2's comment. LOL!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jan 2017 , 1:29am
post #7 of 7

thank you, lynne :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%