24K Gold Leaf On Cake

Decorating By mcdonald Updated 16 Jan 2017 , 5:32pm by maybenot

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 11 Jan 2017 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 8

has anyone used 24k gold leaf on a cake?  I am trying to figure out how much of it I will need to buy.  I also wanted to see if there was any good advise about applying it!

Any information is appreciated!! Thanks 

7 replies
cakingandbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingandbaking Posted 13 Jan 2017 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 8

How much you'd need to buy depends on the size of your cake and if you want to cover it fully in gold leaf or just use it for detailing. 

I did a quick search for tutorials and here's one that looks good: link  There are many others out there as well :)

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 13 Jan 2017 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 8

As a side note, no real metal--gold, silver, etc.--is approved by the FDA for use on food that will be eaten.  There is no excuse that permits this.....................not that it's a mineral, or that it's natural, or anything else.  Use of these metals should be confined to decorations that will be removed and not eaten. 

And, yes, anyone in the US who puts these metals in drinks and on foods is violating FDA guidelines.  And, yes, the FDA would like to address this every time that it happens, but that is unrealistic.

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 14 Jan 2017 , 4:14am
post #4 of 8

How does Goldschlager get around the use of gold leaf in their product that is completely intended for consumption then?

maybenot Posted 14 Jan 2017 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 8

It's an imported, Swiss product, so it's manufacture isn't monitored by the FDA. The regulations in the country of manufacture differ from those in the US.  It would have to be stopped at the border by Customs agents.................

In my work directly with the FDA, I was honestly surprised by what they didn't know was going on in the US food supply. 

In discussing all of this with my high level contact at the agency, I mentioned a prize offered by Pizza Hut of a pie liberally sprinkled with gold.  She was surprised, but reiterated the policy and reinforced the facts.  As much as the FDA would like to deal with every instance, they really can't, so they rely on people knowing the policy and following it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jan 2017 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 8

so all that to say if you do go ahead with it -- the real gold is very expensive -- 25 sheets for fifty bucks i think it was -- the reasonably priced stuff is brass or copper or something else -- so at least buy the real thing if you do go ahead -- i mean it could have lead or something in it if they are passing it off as gold who knows right? it is most expensive for a tiny quantity --

gold is actually used in arthritis medicine that is no longer available in the u.s. -- my doctor told me that -- this is due to drug companies wanting to wipe out the competition of the lessor beginner type drugs so they can be the purveyors of the more expensive meds -- it's my understanding it is still available in canada, etc. --

i'm not saying it's efffective i'm not saying it's pure i'm just saying it used to be legal to ingest as a medicine --

if you do use it on your cake -- just a breath can destroy a whole sheet -- or if you turn the page on a leaf it can crumble and dissolve -- so you want to buy enough to count on a few mishaps and to get a grip on the learnning curve -- but best to put it on non-edibles fo sho

https://www.amazon.com/DeiAurum-Edible-Sheets-Booklet-Loose/dp/B00QLFZQ0M/ref=pd_lpo_325_tr_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=WV7KAC6B5B6BQ19MR20N&th=1

i bought mine on amazon

but there's this too -- never used it -- just found it

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sugar-Sheet-8-X11-Gold-Shimmer/114939195?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=619&adid=22222222227065786174&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=170223548358&wl4=pla-274717799987&wl5=9013530&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113146312&wl11=online&wl12=114939195&wl13=&veh=sem

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jan 2017 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 8

i haven't used this either but it's supposed to be good although lighter, not as deep in color than the real thing however edible

https://www.globalsugarart.com/antique-gold-crystallized-pearl-crystal-color-dust.html

maybenot Posted 16 Jan 2017 , 5:32pm
post #8 of 8

As K8 says, gold has been used in medicines, but approvals for drugs differ greatly from approvals for foods.  And, as she mentions, the issue can be purity and contaminants can come not only from the mineral itself, but also from the chemicals used during processing.  Since it's not treated as a food product, there are no regulations in place about how it is to be handled for consumption.

The "hybrid" edible metallic luster dusts--like the globalsugarart product mentioned above-- have gotten really nice in the past few years.  Will it look exactly like gold leaf?  No, but it will be completely edible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%