Help With Writing

Decorating By JamiJ1225 Updated 21 Dec 2016 , 10:15pm by kakeladi

JamiJ1225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamiJ1225 Posted 19 Dec 2016 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 9

When I pipe a word and I'm done with the letter, how do I stop the icing from coming out further.  Does this make sense?  I was making a Y and then the last part of it went longer than the other.

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Dec 2016 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 9

What is happening is you are still applying pressure on the piping bag.   Yes, I know, you don't think so but you really are :)   You need to completely release your hand pressure from the bag, count to 2 before lifting away from the cake

JamiJ1225 Posted 19 Dec 2016 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 9

I just took up decorating cakes as a hobby, so I'm very new at this.  That makes complete sense!  Any tips on how to seal the pastry bag so it's not all squeezing out of the top? :)  I tried one of those black things with the silver handles you use on stacks of paper in the office, but it was so so.. 

cakingandbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingandbaking Posted 20 Dec 2016 , 3:42am
post #4 of 9

I use a chip clip like this. It works perfectly! Make sure you leave enough space at the top of the bag so that frosting won't squeeze out, twist the bag a couple times, and clip one of these on.

[postimage id="6085" thumb="900"]

kakeladi Posted 20 Dec 2016 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 9
tips on how to seal the pastry bag so it's not all squeezing out of the top? :)  
Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/833478/help-with-writing#igxxHTIvQp3vDF03.99

Quote by @JamiJ1225 on 21 hours ago  ............ tips on how to seal the pastry bag so it's not all squeezing out of the top? :)  .....

You most liekly are filling the bag too much.  They should only be filled about 1/2 full, then the top is treated differently depending on if it'a parchment or pastry bag (cloth or plastic etc). 

If using parchment:  pinch the opening together and fold each side down towards the filling and roll any excess.  This is so hard to put into words! 

If using a pastry bag: just twist it 3 or 4 times and hold it between your thumb and 1st finger applying pressure with the rest of your hand. 

I never got used to using those super large bags.  I did most of my decorting with 10" and 12" bags.  Make sure you are applying the most pressure as close to the tip in the bag as you can.  Use the 1st finger of your other hand to steady the tip of the bag. 

Have you taken time to view the many videos and line drawings available on how to use a decorating bag?  They could be a wealth of information for you!

kakeladi Posted 20 Dec 2016 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 9

Well I had a very long message that didn't post :(  It flashed on the screen then disappeared :(  I'm not up to reposting the whold thing again :(

JamiJ1225 Posted 20 Dec 2016 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 9

I was able to see it for about 5 seconds and managed to print screen it.  :-)  Thanks for all of the tips!  

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 21 Dec 2016 , 4:08am
post #8 of 9

Practice on top of wax paper and once you practice enough it will be super easy. Also some people take a toothpick and write either in cursive or print on top of cake then they just trace over the writing.  That way is pretty easy too!! You will be writing,decorating and you will see with the more practice the better you get. Take pictures and you will see as you continue how much better your cakes look!! 

kakeladi Posted 21 Dec 2016 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 9

Good to hear you were able to read my post.  Yes, as remnant333 said just practice, practice, practice!  And YES! do take pix even of what you think is your worst work.  It will be a big boost to you when you see how far you come when you have practiced lots :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%