How To Get A Dark Red Mmf

Decorating By jamie_24 Updated 12 Aug 2016 , 12:39pm by cutiger

jamie_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamie_24 Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 6

hello guys.. plz help ! i am trying to make a dark red mmf and i cant seem to succeed. No matter how much color i add it is kind of a pink red color :( 
I dont have access to any wilton or americolor products. Candy melts IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND.
i use cake Flora gel colour.
Please help !!!!

5 replies
ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 6

Red needs time to develop give it 24 hours.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 6

What Elizabeth said plus once it is exposed to air (on a cake) it will darken a shade or two.  

Things to keep in mind if you ever need to do this again.............1) most likely it will take on a bitter taste from all the color needed; you can try to mask it by adding cinnamon or other flavoring. 2) don't add your red directly to white....instead add pink, orange, or yellow 1st depending on what shade/color you want to end up with.  Once that color is well mixed in then add your red.  Yes, it take A LOT of color to get dark shades.  3) you might try adding some beet juice-  liquid /water used to cook fresh beets in)  I would boil/reduce that liquid as much as possible to keep the fondant from getting overly sticky.  

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 11 Aug 2016 , 7:45am
post #4 of 6

When are you adding the color? Adding red to white fondant will take forever. Mix a healthy amount of red to the water when you are making the MMF in the first place. This is much easier and more efficient.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 11 Aug 2016 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 6

When making red, I always add pink to the marshmallows after they have melted, put it in my mixing bowl, and add 1tbsp of red. I let that mix in the bowl, knead it out and let it rest. I usually make my fondant 3 days before I need it and the color is perfect. I've had that weird, bitter taste once, and that is because I added too much color trying to get the red or black. 

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 12 Aug 2016 , 12:39pm
post #6 of 6

You can also add cocoa powder to the fondant before you add the red coloring.  May need to add a little glycerin if the powder makes your fondant too dry.  It is much easier to get the red darker that way.  Works for royal icing as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%