Can It Ever Be The Same?

Lounge By Webake2gether Updated 13 Dec 2016 , 12:47am by gscout73

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 3:43pm
post #61 of 101

Quote by @gscout73 on 14 hours ago

I'm still here, every day, looking at new techniques, perspectives, toys (i mean tools), CC still has so much to offer. I for one do not miss how thread topics would turn into wars of egos, and pros versus hobbyists.  Sheesh, why can't a hobbyist develop expert level skills? I always strive to improve and reach higher, and am grateful to pros who are willing to share their skills.

People like K8 are awesome. I do miss Edna (Tonedna) and a few of the others.

Thank you everyone for sticking around, and thank you Jackie and Heath!!

thank you, gscout, very kind of you, i'm gonna quote you to my family hahahahaha --

i too was sad when edna had to leave cc -- i miss the uk group too and the aussie group although some of each still pop in from time to time --

i'll never know how the uk's kept up with that behemoth thread they had -- just perusing it was crazy -- trying to find the previous topic or picture of the current posts was usually futile for me a mere american hahahahaha -- i do totally miss them though as a fast paced wonder group

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 3:53pm
post #62 of 101

Can people ask a business question and request that only licensed business owners respond?  Or is that harassment or exclusion on a public forum? I take this as ask and respond at your own risk you have no idea who's actually responding or asking so if you are taking what's on a public forum completely to heart with no further research then I guess the blame is on you if you get misguided advice. I happen to research until I can't research something anymore and take what repeats in each book, article etc and then apply that. 

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 3 Aug 2016 , 4:21am
post #63 of 101

Quote by @Webake2gether on 12 hours ago

Can people ask a business question and request that only licensed business owners respond?  Or is that harassment or exclusion on a public forum? I take this as ask and respond at your own risk you have no idea who's actually responding or asking so if you are taking what's on a public forum completely to heart with no further research then I guess the blame is on you if you get misguided advice. I happen to research until I can't research something anymore and take what repeats in each book, article etc and then apply that. 

you could certainly ask for feedback only from people with specific criteria, such as licensed bakers, or maybe you only want to hear from people with a brick and mortar storefront, or only from home based bakers.  I think they more specific an information request the better.  You get more useful responses, get less clarifying questions, and not waste the time of people replying who cannot provide the insight you need.

I agree and we are working on trying to improve the notification issue to reduce the number of notifications you receive. Also the pagination at the top of threads will be restored.  Additionally we will be improving the thread subscribe/unsubscribe functionality.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 3 Aug 2016 , 4:59am
post #64 of 101

Quote by @-K8memphis on 1 day ago

you can delete them all at one time very easily -- sorry you're annoyed

How? I try but can't get it to work, so I have to go into each one.... each.. one.. so... time... consuming...

gscout73 Posted 3 Aug 2016 , 5:06am
post #65 of 101

k8, why did Edna an the others have to leave CC? I figured they left because of all the harassment complaints and threads that had to be shut down when they got out of control.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 3 Aug 2016 , 6:13am
post #66 of 101

Additionally we will be improving the thread subscribe/unsubscribe functionality.

Thank you Heath, I miss that possibility.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Aug 2016 , 12:51pm
post #67 of 101

i don't want to get into edna's business but she has lupus and she had to take care of herself --

the big bad threads didn't help anyone stick around huh --

and gscout -- when you are finished clicking on the various threads you want to read and you have a bunch of leftovers there -- open alerts -- click 'view all' -- let it fully load -- put a check mark in the empty box left of 'mark as read' -- this highlights the entires list -- click on 'mark as read' -- poof

Webake2gether Posted 3 Aug 2016 , 12:58pm
post #68 of 101

@Heath ‍ thank you for clarifying that for me and for the posting suggestions. That would probably eleviate some of the unecessary tension in the future. I'm careful about responding to business questions bc it's a toss up people either genuinely want guided in the right direction or they want to be told they are right (even when they are doing things completely backwards) and a pat on the back to stroke their ego and I don't have time to waste answering questions for people like that. 

as far as deleting the notifications I figured out you have to tap the mark all button quick before it disappears then it will delete all the notifications at the same time. I'm on my iPhone so I don't know if it's the same for other devices. If you don't click it in time refresh the page and try again. 

Heath Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 1:13am
post #69 of 101

Quote by @Webake2gether on 12 hours ago

as far as deleting the notifications I figured out you have to tap the mark all button quick before it disappears then it will delete all the notifications at the same time. I'm on my iPhone so I don't know if it's the same for other devices. If you don't click it in time refresh the page and try again. 

What disappears?  I just tested on my iPhone using Safari as the browser and I did not notice anything disappearing?

Please send me a PM with a description of the odd behavior as well as which model of iPhone you are using and which browser?

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 1:40am
post #70 of 101

I use my phone (android) and have to press and hold the blue "mark as read" box until I get a pop up that says "select".  I press that, and then I check the box and press and hold the blue button again.  Took me forever to figure that out.

Webake2gether Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 2:07am
post #71 of 101

@Heath ‍  The mark all box disappears as soon as the see all notifications page loads. I took a screen shot and will post it here since I can't send it in a message. I have iPhone 5c and Safari is the browser.

[postimage id="4846" thumb="900"]

gscout73 Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 3:04am
post #72 of 101

Nope, doesn't work for me. I'm on my laptop (Lenovo) I click all, but nothing happens. They just stay there.  The only way i get rid of them is to actually open them, each one, one at a time.

gscout73 Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 3:11am
post #73 of 101

I just held down the "Mark as Read" button for 60 seconds and nothing happened.

[postimage id="4848" thumb="900"]    

gscout73 Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 3:16am
post #74 of 101

Quote by @-K8memphis on 14 hours ago

i don't want to get into edna's business but she has lupus and she had to take care of herself --

the big bad threads didn't help anyone stick around huh --

and gscout -- when you are finished clicking on the various threads you want to read and you have a bunch of leftovers there -- open alerts -- click 'view all' -- let it fully load -- put a check mark in the empty box left of 'mark as read' -- this highlights the entires list -- click on 'mark as read' -- poof

Thank you for letting me know, K8. As for the alerts, when I click on the box next to the 'mark as read' button, I figure it is supposed to select all. But for me, it only checks that box, none of the boxes listed below. I have to click on each individual box. Then, when I click, or even hold down that button, nothing happens. I must hover my cursor over the notice, have it bring me to the thread, scroll back up to the top of the screen, and repeat the same steps for each notification until they are depleted.

Every time I come to the site...

I wish I was making this up.

Heath Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 3:58am
post #75 of 101

So one thing that is not intuitive and I encounter this on a lot of sites including ours,  When you click the ALL box, it is only actually the ALL for whatever is showing on that page of notifications.

So if you have say 50 notifications, clicking ALL and then MARK READ might actually only be applying that to the say 10 on the current pagination.  So then after the page refreshes it might look like a full list but now the count is 40.

I had over 100 notifications so I had to do that a few times to clear them all.

gscout73 Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 4:42am
post #76 of 101

Quote by @Heath on 39 minutes ago

So one thing that is not intuitive and I encounter this on a lot of sites including ours,  When you click the ALL box, it is only actually the ALL for whatever is showing on that page of notifications.

So if you have say 50 notifications, clicking ALL and then MARK READ might actually only be applying that to the say 10 on the current pagination.  So then after the page refreshes it might look like a full list but now the count is 40.

Well, Heath, when I do it, it clears none. When I click on the box next to the button, none of the other boxes showing below it become checked. I must click on each box. Then when I click the button, nothing happens. I wish I could make a video to show you that I must actually go to each individual notification, which brings me into the thread, then the number of notifications decreases by one. I must then scroll back up to the top of the page, and do the same cycle over again, and repeat as many times as there are notifications, until they are all gone. I have experienced this since the site changed from when there were themed galleries, and yadda- yadda.

I have yet to experience it working as intended or as you described.

gscout73 Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 4:44am
post #77 of 101

It does not matter if I have 3, 13, or 30.

Heath Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 4:59am
post #78 of 101

hmm.. I am not sure why that would be.  I cannot reproduce that behavior on Windows 7 using Chrome or Firefox as a browser, nor can I reproduce it on my iPhone using Safari.  There must be some specific factor in your combination of device, OS and browser that I am not accounting for that could cause that..

We will keep trying to determine what could cause it to behave differently for you than it does for us.  Any insights you may have would be helpful such as if you are running an older browser or OS, or if you have ad blockers or other browser extensions that might interfere with javascript maybe?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 6:26am
post #79 of 101

Quote by @gscout73 on 1 hour ago

Well, Heath, when I do it, it clears none. When I click on the box next to the button, none of the other boxes showing below it become checked. I must click on each box. Then when I click the button, nothing happens. I wish I could make a video to show you that I must actually go to each individual notification, which brings me into the thread, then the number of notifications decreases by one. I must then scroll back up to the top of the page, and do the same cycle over again, and repeat as many times as there are notifications, until they are all gone. I have experienced this since the site changed from when there were themed galleries, and yadda- yadda.

I have yet to experience it working as intended or as you described.

My notice page has....74 pages of notifications.  I've tried to use the 'select all' function myself.  It does not work for me either @gscout73 ‍  . It only erases when I click on each individual message & delete.  However I won't waste time doing that again, they can just pile up.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 11:12am
post #80 of 101

mb -- I have to wait a few for mine to fully load (even though they all appear to just be sitting there i have to wait a few) and i have two- three pages usually less -- if I do it too soon it won't work -- since you have so many pages it's gonna take quite a while for them to load before the button will be active and if memory serves it deletes one page at a time

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 1:12pm
post #81 of 101

I've tried each of the suggestions mentioned but none of them clear my notifications sadly - same as others have said.   I can't clear them in a group or individually sadly.

T

Webake2gether Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 1:17pm
post #82 of 101

Bummer I actually just cleared mine but the mark all box wasn't on the screen but it did work for me. Wonder what is causing all the different to glitches with this feature.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 2:06pm
post #83 of 101

this is a pure guess but I would figure the glitches are created by all the different service providers and different device makers globally -- that's why IT's first question is what kind of device, system, etc. and what response did you get when you tried to do what --

gscout73 Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 11:31pm
post #84 of 101

Well, I also can't get past 1 page of new pics. It does not matter if I select day, week or month, I can only see the pics that would show on the first screen. There is no option showing at the bottom that any other pages even exist. I know it is impossible for there to be only one page for an entire 30 days, since the pics change.

[postimage id="4857" thumb="900"]

[postimage id="4858" thumb="900"]

gscout73 Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 11:32pm
post #85 of 101

I have latest Windows, latest Firefox.

gscout73 Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 11:34pm
post #86 of 101

Oh, this is my Alerts, box next to button checked, none below it auto check:

[postimage id="4859" thumb="900"]

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Aug 2016 , 12:00am
post #87 of 101

Heath said: ....... I cannot reproduce that behavior on Windows 7 using Chrome or Firefox as a browser, 

I am using Windows 7 and Chrome but cannot check even "Mark all as read" - the box disappears so quickly that I can't get it checked.  If I try to mark each notification, only 1 or 2 , if any, will end up being marked/deleted - the boxes disappear so it's always a mystery if I have managed to get even one marked :(  

-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2016 , 12:07am
post #88 of 101

i hope they can fix it for you -- often it get only one check mark like you did so I erase it and do it again until it works -- once the alerts load it will work for me and i have old stuff -- nothing is new -- 

-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2016 , 12:10am
post #89 of 101

but I only click the box once I don't hold it down -- that might jam it up no?

Heath Posted 5 Aug 2016 , 4:45am
post #90 of 101

I was finally able to replicate an error with the Alerts check boxes you have been talking about. So hopefully we can track it down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%