Just Need To Vent . . .

Lounge By Bakrwomyn Updated 9 Jul 2016 , 7:18am by Bakrwomyn

Bakrwomyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakrwomyn Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 5:40am
post #1 of 12

[postimage id="4481" thumb="900"][postimage id="4482" thumb="900"][postimage id="4483" thumb="900"][postimage id="4484" thumb="900"][postimage id="4485" thumb="900"]I've always been a professional baker all my life but just in the past seven years have really gotten into making cakes. None of the local bakeries will hire me because I "have no bakery experience" and yet I've worked in hotel pastry kitchens which require baking production in large quantities. 

I'm really taking this personally and maybe I'm delusional that I'm adept at cake decorating. 

Thanks for lending your ear! [postimage id="4486" thumb="900"]

11 replies
Nana52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana52 Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 10:04am
post #2 of 12

When applying, have you taken a portfolio of your work with you?  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 12

I don't know you at all so please don't take this wrong but...........how old are you?  It could be they see on old lady and don't want aged ?  Age discrimination is out there.....It's happen to me. 

BayouBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BayouBakery Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 12

It might be good to share some examples of work you have done-both the standard "ohhh, its such a beautiful cake" and the kooky, creative, imaginative ones. You seem good at kooky and you have a great imagination. Finding a bakery that appreciates that might be the key. Or start your own. 

gfbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gfbaby Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 12

From the examples you've presented here- I'd agree you certainly have your own style and you need that niche to corner in an overcrowded cake market. Had you thought of going it on your own? Risky but if you're confident- worth a serious try. Most bakeries here (I'm in the uk) tend to go for what I call 'blah' cakes... fast easy to knock out and a bit twee. Your 'quirky' cakes are more bespoke and would take longer and cost more so maybe don't do anything for a bakery moneywise. I do bespoke cakes but I'd never even consider approaching a bakery; so many reasons....! Time, space, one cake at a time, engineering, masses of equipment, working into nights to deadlines... I could go on for hours but at the end of the day it'd boil down to money and who got it. 

If you really want to work in a bakery- look at what bakery cakes are and make some similar ones for a portfolio. If I owned a bakery thats what I'd be looking for.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 12

I love your cakes!! Very unusual but very cool!!! Seems like the bakery cakes which are not as elaborate would be easy for you to do. There are lots of people who did not go to chef schools that can decorate beautifully!! Hopefully, some of them will give you a chance. Just keep applying and sooner or later they will give you a try. Good luck!!

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 4 Jul 2016 , 10:56am
post #7 of 12

I agree with Kakeladi, it might be an age thing? Because we don't know anything about each other really, its hard to tell what might put off prospective employers. If you do any standard "pretty" cakes get them into your portfolio along with the more "bespoke" ones you have shown here. An employer has to know you can decorate for mainstream clients..the ones who buy cakes?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 12:43am
post #8 of 12

depends on what kind of decorating and what kind of decorator they want too -- rarely does a shop advertise for a head decorator although it does happen -- if it is for the top spot you need specific pro decorator experience because of speed and efficiency requirements -- you'll set the pace for the whole department -- you have to know in advance how long will take and how to price it

the cakes you've made are well done but to give an example -- say suzy homemakers steps up to go for a pro baker gig because she's made great/elaborate and classic desserts before for her family -- well there's a whole lot more to it right -- but it's a great start --

sometimes it's wise to hold back on the portfolio if they want a supporting decorator because of the egos involved -- just all depends I mean you can always talk about the cakes you don't show if you need more fire power -- you can conceal extra pictures behind the others  -- I mean unless you're interviewing with duff, or ron ben, or the pink cake box lady, etc. 

keep trying/applying -- don't give up -- consider a grocery store decorator spot -- you'll get your speed and efficiency and combine that with your artistry and you'll be a force to be reckoned with --

Bakrwomyn Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 4:42am
post #9 of 12

Well, as to the age thing, I've replied to ads online so therefore haven't seen me. Even if they did, I very fortunately look youthful for my age and have passed for my mid 30s (I'm 52). 

A few of the bakeries I've applied for have said, "oh your cakes are too weird. No one wants to buy stuff like that!" or "you're so good but we couldn't afford you," or, "I'd LOVE to hire you but my longtime cake decorator would quit on me because he couldn't stand the competition," but mainly, "if you don't have bakery experience we won't hire you." "But I've worked in hotel pastry production where they produce more than a bakery." "Oh in that case, we can't afford you."

QUOI?! 

I have many friends who've told me to move to: 1) London his shop would hire me in a heartbeat; 2) Move to Yorba Linda/Fullerton area because they're in desperate need for upscale bakers; 3) Move to Korea because many Koreans there would love my cakes because they're not too sweet but just sweet enough.

Thank you all for the encouragement and advice. I was starting to take it personally but maybe I really should consider starting my own business. My friends, friends' friends, even strangers tell me they love quirky and they don't think there's enough of it in town.

Bakrwomyn Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 4:44am
post #10 of 12

Btw, if I only had myself to consider (I have a partner and two lovely dogs) I'd move to London in a heartbeat!

BlueBerryBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueBerryBaker Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 6:50am
post #11 of 12

I can tell you from my own personal experience, regarding looking for a bakery job.  Don't do it!!!  You'll hate it!!!  You have the freedom to create your own works of art and expression, now... at your own pace.  Working in a typical grocery store bakery, all they do is paint cakes.  I was hired once (only and LAST time I accepted a cake decorating job).  The cakes came pre-made, and all we had to do was paint them - for real!  It was assembly line decorating.  Nothing special - nothing unique!  Boring!!!   

My cakes are made to order.  Each one unique and WAY better than any crappy grocery store!  Start making cakes for friends and family members.  Get your name out there.  Before long, you'll have people calling you!  As long as you deliver a great product, you'll get all the business you want and on your own terms.   [postimage id="4560" thumb="900"]  These are some petit fours I made.  You cant do that in a bakery - unless it's a specialty shop.   Stick to what you know!  Your good at what you do, so why change?  Best to you!

Bakrwomyn Posted 9 Jul 2016 , 7:18am
post #12 of 12

BlueBerry . . . thanks for the encouragement. You're petit fours are too beautiful to eat! I LOVE doing them as well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%