Cake Hunters Tv Show

Lounge By ypierce82 Updated 18 Jul 2016 , 7:54pm by ljdills

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 19 Jun 2016 , 12:56am
post #1 of 16

So I am sitting here watching this show.  24 hours before the cake is due, the groom calls to add 100 more servings! I do wonder how much of a disservice these shows really do to bakers. Do people really expect to sit down and have a mock up cake made for them? I don't like this already lol

15 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 19 Jun 2016 , 2:42am
post #2 of 16

Ah...really!! I hope the answer was a resounding NO..

ypierce82 Posted 19 Jun 2016 , 3:21am
post #3 of 16

They did it. Nooooo problem.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jun 2016 , 4:22am
post #4 of 16

I don't get that channel :(

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 19 Jun 2016 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 16

It was probably preplanned I bet the baker knew

ypierce82 Posted 19 Jun 2016 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 16

Maybe, but how many regular viewers are going to think that? Some customers already feel entitled to everything undet the sun.

kakeladi Posted 19 Jun 2016 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks to ypierce!  I also think it had to have been planned just for drama on the show.

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 19 Jun 2016 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 16

What a lot of people don't realize is that these so called "REALITY" shows thrive on creating SCRIPTED DRAMA.

As if real life isn't full of drama......cakers know.......

Nancylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylou Posted 20 Jun 2016 , 12:26am
post #9 of 16

I was thinking the same thing.  I have watched several episodes and in every one it seems there is a last minute change or addition to the cake - the drama factor you guys are talking about.  I am really enjoying the show, but oy vey ... I see trouble in the making.

ypierce82 Posted 20 Jun 2016 , 2:47am
post #10 of 16

I know reality tv isn't reality. My point was the average customer watching will think it is ok to call the day before to add and change things.

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 20 Jun 2016 , 4:08am
post #11 of 16

That's why contracts are so very important. Most have a date stipulating that no changes/additions can be made past that date. Usually 1 week before the event is the cut off. Unfortunately dealing with the unrealistic expectations of customers comes with the territory. Best to nip it in the bud. Some people need to be reminded that in the real world there isn't a Cake Genie who will magically whip out 100 or so cake servings overnight. Unless...... you're willing to pay double.

It's a  crying shame what passes for entertainment these days. IMO

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 20 Jun 2016 , 7:32am
post #12 of 16

This show is straight up crazy in what they are trying to pass off as normal procedure. A miniture version of the wedding cake for a tasting; the order is placed within a week of the wedding; some huge last minute request the day before the wedding.  This is setting the stage for some really disappointed brides who think this is how things work in real life.

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 20 Jun 2016 , 10:47am
post #13 of 16

Shame. I wonder if there is any PA that could explain the general viewers that these are jacked-up dramas, and in no way stuff they show is possible, without scripted "crisis" added? 

Or break down the price added for the emergency 100 servings. Hours worked overtime, materials-ingredients, added man power, overhead, etc... Show REAL prices... Would the "groom" - given a new price tag - be still willing to go for it, or cut his guest list instead?  

It makes me sad though, that people can't discern b/s from reality. Reality is a tough concept - as it is - in quantum physics and other scientific studies (or, unfortunately, politics), but hey, you don't have to be a rocket surgeon to figure the "reality tv" b/s out! Tsk-tsk-tsk, general viewers. And people who make bucks on that. It serves poorly to those who are working in the unscripted world.

I don't watch the cake shows, or many others, for the reason of see-through improbabilities of "real-live-action-and events-for-real!!!". Those just irritate me. And there is plenty of stress without the "reality tv". Watch TWD - all scripted, and oh so stress-relieving!!! :-) Like punching a punch bag, after a long day of dealing with b/s LOL

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 20 Jun 2016 , 8:19pm
post #14 of 16

Another thing that I noticed when watching last night is that everything has lots of gold decorations and painting.  How do they get away with making all of that edible.

kakeladi Posted 20 Jun 2016 , 8:39pm
post #15 of 16

........crazy in what they are trying to pass off as normal procedure. A miniture version of the wedding cake for a tasting; the order is placed within a week of the wedding; some huge last minute request the day before the wedding.  This is setting the stage for some really disappointed brides who think this is how things work in real life.......(who is going to) ..........explain the general viewers that these are jacked-up dramas, and in no way stuff they show is possible,

.......Show REAL prices... Would the "groom" - given a new price tag - be still willing to go for it?.....makes me sad though, that people can't discern b/s from reality.........

.......everything has lots of gold decorations and painting.  How do they get away with making all of that edible.

Each one of the above quote is soooo true!  But let's put a major part of the blame on the decorators involved in these shows!!  
I feel so very sorry for those of you who are still actively doing cakes for sale.   Look what you have to counter with your clients!  Can't the show producers and decorators see what they are doing to the industry?!

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 7:54pm
post #16 of 16

These "sample" cakes are they paid for by the client ?  People complain about paying a small fee for a tasting (which goes towards the cost of the cake if they choose to book with me).  I can't imagine people wanting to pay for a sample cake.  The details and flowers on some of those cakes took hours.  No way that a cake designer could afford to do that for every tasting.  My husband came through while I was watching an episode and he said I hope people don't believe that this is reality.  It is hard enough to be in this business competing with hobby bakers and chain stores without these shows making it more so.  The decorators who participate in these shows need to realize the negative affects shows like this could have on the industry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%