Hi Ratio Shortening

Decorating By Mrz.cherrri Updated 17 Jul 2016 , 1:32am by Inga1

Mrz.cherrri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrz.cherrri Posted 10 May 2016 , 2:07am
post #1 of 33

Hi all,

So i know shortening has been discussed many times before, but I havent seen any posting within the last year.  I recently had to make buttercream frosting and I don't know if it was the butter so what but when i used shortening and butter it didnt taste as good to me (others liked it), and when I used all butter it was okay to frost the cake but not so good for piping.  Does anyone know where I can order a good Hi ratio shortening and what brand is good.  I like in New York so any idea for somewhere in NY or online would help.

Thanks 

32 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 10 May 2016 , 2:28am
post #2 of 33

Hi @Mrz.cherrri ‍  When I discovered HR shortening and started using it in my American buttercream it made a great icing.  It was smooth, with a nice non-greasy mouthfeel, and I could add lot's of extract or liquids.  It is not something sold locally and the cost with the shipping is way too expensive for me.  If I could pick it up at a local store I'd use it all the time.  Good luck in your search.

rdjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdjr Posted 10 May 2016 , 3:35am
post #3 of 33

I haven't tried this yet but crazycoolcakes on YouTube uses regular shortening. Not vegetable shortening. Apparently, the fat content helps the icing stay together. I'm giving it a try this week to see how it works out for me!

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 10 May 2016 , 4:05am
post #4 of 33

Hi @Mrz.cherrri ‍ I am in the NY area also and I order SWEETEX from Global Sugar Art. Unfortunately they do not ship the sweetex after April 30. I think the shipping period is October - April. I have only used Sweetex and I love it. There are other brands such as Alpine and CK.  Are you near Manhattan, there is a place called NY Cake (56W 22 ST Manhattan) that sells CK Hi Ratio Shortening 3lbs $19.00, their online prices are cheaper,

http://www.nycake.com/products-search?qs=hi+ratio+shortening

I also order supplies online from Fondant Source, http://www.fondantsource.com/hirash.html, they carry several different brands.

Amazon also carries several different brands. I am  hobby baker so I order the 12lb size Sweetex and so far GSA is the only place that sells in that small quantity. Other places carry the 50lb size Sweetex. HTH

joeyww12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeyww12000 Posted 10 May 2016 , 8:27am
post #5 of 33

I use the shortening for baking and frying from Walmart. I heard this from Krazycool cakes on YouTube as well. No greasy mouth feel like crisco gives. They use meringue powder in one of the recipes but I don't use it. I also use half butter half shortening. 

Nana52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana52 Posted 10 May 2016 , 12:23pm
post #6 of 33

I use Pssst Brand shortening from Kroger.  I believe it's the same as the Walmart brand.  Like joey, I usually use half butter and half shortening.  

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 10 May 2016 , 12:56pm
post #7 of 33

Will the buttercream with the baking and frying shortening crust?  Does anyone know...

joeyww12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeyww12000 Posted 10 May 2016 , 2:04pm
post #8 of 33

It does crust

carolinecakes Posted 10 May 2016 , 2:39pm
post #9 of 33

@ropalma ‍ Yes, she says its a crusting buttercream.

@joeyww12000 ‍ the walmart brand has 0 trans fats, is that the one you use? I would like to try it and see how the taste compares to the sweetex. But I read somewhere, on CC  I think, that you should not use shortening with 0 trans fat.

Great Value:  Shortening, 42 oz

Mrz.cherrri Posted 10 May 2016 , 4:53pm
post #10 of 33

Thanks everyone for your input.

I had a shortening from Walmart not the one for baking and frying and i personally didnt like the taste and to me the texture looked greasy.  Im going to look for the shortening for baking and frying.

@Carolinascakes i was looking online and the sweetex at Amazon was like 150 but i think. 50lbs. I definitely dont need that much and I've never tried it soi wouldnt buy that size. I seen the alpine and Ck brand on amazon for roughly 21/22 dollars. Not sure if thats a g9od price or not

carolinecakes Posted 10 May 2016 , 6:43pm
post #11 of 33

Yes that's a good price especially if you have amazon prime shipping. You  missed the sale on GSA, in March they had the 12lb Sweetex for $36.00.  That amount lasts me all year.  I will say you will not regret buying the Sweetex, your buttercream will taste fantastic, holds up well.  Its very hard to find in small quantities, GSA is the only place I have found that carries the 12lb. I have heard good things about the Alpine and CK brand.  In October I would recommend you check out GSA, once you try HI Ratio Shortening, you will not use anything else. If you do the math, the price per lb of the sweetex is cheaper than what you can buy on amazon, but right now that's your best deal.

carolinecakes Posted 10 May 2016 , 6:50pm
post #12 of 33

Hey just found this and if you are a first time subscriber to their email you get 15% discount.

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product/hi-ratio-shortening-3-lbs/cake-icings-and-toppings?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping

misscupcakeface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misscupcakeface Posted 10 May 2016 , 6:55pm
post #13 of 33

Fondant Source carries high ratio shortening.  You can get CK products brand, 3 lbs for 11.99. http://www.fondantsource.com/hirash.html

Mrz.cherrri Posted 10 May 2016 , 6:56pm
post #14 of 33

Thanks i was looking at the walmart one and even tho its cheap dint want to waste money or have the shortening sitting there.  I thibk im going to get either the Alpine or Cks. 

I see  a couple of other non popular brands people say are good but I think ill go with you're suggestions.  

Thanks

carolinecakes Posted 10 May 2016 , 7:33pm
post #15 of 33

I love Fondant Source and you can get a coupon code on Retailmenot.........I think they have the best prices......so of course popular items sell out....and their delivery is fast.

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 18 May 2016 , 3:48pm
post #16 of 33

I just got my first 3lb tub of hi-ratio shortening from Amazon today!  I used to buy the store brand, but they recently discontinued it and all I can find is shortening with no trans fats.  When you switch from store brand to hi-ratio, do you reduce the shortening amount in the recipe or use it 1:1?  I've seen posts that say to use 2/3 cup of hi ratio for every cup of regular shortening, and others that say to use it 1:1.  I typically do a 1/2 shortening 1/2 butter ABC.  I know the recommendation is usually to make a small batch and give it a try to see what tastes best, but  I have allergies that prevent me from taste testing on my own and I struggle to get enough of a detailed description from my taste testers.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 18 May 2016 , 5:45pm
post #17 of 33

Do you have a Gordon's Food Service store in your area?  Most carry it in store, but if not you can special order it and have it in a few days and they don't charge you any more for it.  If no GFS in your area, maybe another type of insitutional supply might be around that you could check with.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 18 May 2016 , 5:47pm
post #18 of 33

Problem with Fondant Source is they charge $18 shipping for an $11.99 tub of shortening.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 18 May 2016 , 5:49pm
post #19 of 33

If you look closely at the Wal Mart baking and frying shortening...it's a blend of animal fat (basically lard) and vegetable fats....I personally just don't like the idea of the animal fat in my icing.

misscupcakeface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misscupcakeface Posted 18 May 2016 , 5:56pm
post #20 of 33

You're going to pay shipping for anything you buy online.  That's why you purchase multiple things from one seller, so as to justify shipping costs. 

carolinecakes Posted 18 May 2016 , 6:07pm
post #21 of 33

I hate to pay for shipping, so I order once or twice a year. This is my hobby not a business, and I always look for coupon codes and you can get anywhere from 10% - 20% off your order. Don't get me started on Amazon, even with free prime shipping, some caking stuff is so way over priced. Wish I had GFS near me.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 18 May 2016 , 6:50pm
post #22 of 33

True...but I can source most of what I need locally, so that wouldn't be a good deal for me.  I can get Hi Ratio at GFS so it's not shipping charge for me.

Retha1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Retha1 Posted 3 Jul 2016 , 4:26pm
post #23 of 33

I don't know what is meant by hi ratio shortening. if someone can just tell me what to look for on the label it would probably help. 

I Googled hi ratio shortening and walmart brand came up. is it?

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 4 Jul 2016 , 3:11am
post #24 of 33

I wouldn't want to use shortening with animal fat for my icing, since people who avoid eating meat wouldn't expect it to be there.

I've been using store brand vegetable shortening that still has trans fat, but it's getting harder and harder to find.

carolinecakes Posted 4 Jul 2016 , 1:45pm
post #25 of 33

@Retha1 ‍ this link explains........

http://www.cake-decorating-corner.com/blogs/terri/hi-ratio-shortening-vs-crisco

It will say " Hi- Ratio Shortening". I have used Sweetex and CK brands and have excellent results, I do not use crisco. HTH

stampingchrisd_91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampingchrisd_91 Posted 4 Jul 2016 , 5:17pm
post #26 of 33

If you have a Cash aND Carry in your area they sell Sweetex. 50lbs for around $75.

mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 4 Jul 2016 , 6:07pm
post #27 of 33

Alpine is a  high ratio shortening , very good to use in buttercream icing . I buy it at

restaurant supply store in a 50#lb box.

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 1:59pm
post #28 of 33

I live outside of Boston and have had such a hard time finding somewhere to get hi ratio shortening!  The supply stores that carry it near me don't do cash & carry.  I'm willing to drive a decent distance (hour or more).  I've also ordered online, but a lot of stores won't ship in the summer and I found out why.  I purchased a 50lb box on amazon & once it was damaged reported as undeliverable & the second time it was delivered & dumped in my driveway with a falling apart box, puncture marks that went in to the shortening, and the plastic bag the shortening was in wasn't even secured closed!  Anyone close by able to offer a location for purchase?

Cupcakegirl2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakegirl2005 Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 5:01pm
post #29 of 33

I took her advice an use Walmart shortening not vegetable and my buttercream turned out better smooth with no grit 

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 1:37pm
post #30 of 33

What is the shelf-life on the high-ratio shortening?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%