Red Velvet Cake... The Effect Of Red Colouring

Baking By neda_la Updated 8 May 2016 , 12:27am by Jinkies

neda_la Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neda_la Posted 7 May 2016 , 12:09pm
post #1 of 8

hi everyone

I have had few negative feedbacks regarding the outcome;-) of the red velvet cake the day or two after eating them...

The clients thought they were passing blood  seeing the red colour in their stool... Have you ever heard such feedbacks?

Is this normal? Do I have to tell the customers to expect such a thing? Would it be different if I use another brand?(I am using Americlour Super Red)

Thanks

7 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 May 2016 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 8

There's a lot of red food coloring in most recipes of red velvet cake. If I remember correctly, the recipe that I have for a regular 8" round cake has 1/4 cup (4 Tbsp) in it. That's a ridiculous amount of something that isn't necessary, if you ask me. I cut it down to 2 Tbsp, the batter isn't as fire-engine red, but it's still red, and I've never had anyone thinking that they're bleeding internally after eating it, so you could try that!

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 7 May 2016 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 8

I also use Americolor Super Red, the recipe called for 1oz, the first time I made it  everyone's teeth/mouth was red when eating  the cake. Gross!! So now I use 1 tsp and like costumeczar said red enough. Live and learn.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 May 2016 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 8

just as an aside here mostly -- i'm really glad that some fast food places and cereal makers are eliminating food color and weird ingredients -- they're catching on to consumer's wishes for more real food less preservatives and unnecessary things --

red velvet in particular jars my senses because my hyperactive child reacted to red food color and we eliminated it from his diet and it was in so many foods -- but then my son-in-law's favorite is red velvet so...but like was said you can manipulate the amount of food color --

so just rambling a little here this morning -- but as wholesome as possible is best with food color to a bare minimum or not used at all -- i agree that a quarter cup of food color is just about obscene >shudder<

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 May 2016 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 8

then again there's the strange case of asparagus -- i just don't like it enough to endure the smell you get after you eat it then go pee-- makes you think (smells like) you're dying and asparagus ain't even that tasty - so maybe that should get some food additive idk hahaha

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 7 May 2016 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 8

I've seen some recipes using beets as a natural food coloring. Haven't tried it yet, but here's a link if you're interested.

http://www.littlehouseliving.com/recipe-for-red-velvet-cake.html

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 7 May 2016 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 8

I've made "red velvet" cupcakes with beets and raspberries to preserve maximum color. It can be very pretty but it doesn't taste like red velvet anymore. I renamed them Ruby Raspberry.

In my traditional Red Velvets I only use 1 T. and it's really red, and no one has ever mentioned believing they were dying of a dread disease after eating them.

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 8 May 2016 , 12:27am
post #8 of 8

@-K8memphis ‍ Haha! I don't think asparagus is that great either.

I love love love red velvet cake, but I don't need it to be red either.  I'm quite happy for it to be a reddish brown.  But, really, you can do it any color you like or leave out the color all together.  It still tastes the same.

I have a cupcake biz near me that boasts about their famous blue velvet cupcakes.... just the same recipe with blue food dye...but they advertise it like it's some big secret recipe, cracks me up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%