Do You Think "the *original* Wasc Cake Recipe" Would Work With "organics" Vanilla Cake Box Mix?

Baking By weluvpiggies Updated 5 May 2016 , 11:45am by weluvpiggies

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 2 May 2016 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 8

Hi, I want to try the WASC recipe and the only box cake mix I have is the "European Gourmet Bakery Organics Vanilla Cake Mix".   Does anyone know if it would work with that mix?

Thanks!! :))

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 May 2016 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 8

Sorry I have never heard of that one.  What is the weight of the mix?  Are you not in the US?  My guess (and it's totally a guess) is that it will be o.k.  Do you need a cake for anything special - like an order? OR is it just for the family and want to try the recipe?  If the latter I would certainly try it.

weluvpiggies Posted 2 May 2016 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 8

Hi Kakeladi,

Thanks so much for your reply!  I live in Wisconsin and I get this brand at my local grocery store in the natural foods section.  I just like to eat as organically as possible and this cake will be for my mother-in-law.  

The weight on the box reads "15.25 oz (432.27 grams)".  If you make the mix 'as is', you're to add 3/4 cup milk, 2 eggs and 8 T melted/cooled butter.

I hope this helps you answer my question

Thanks! :))

kakeladi Posted 3 May 2016 , 12:33am
post #4 of 8

My guess is it will be just fine used for the WASC recipe.  That's the same size as any other cake mix so use the WASC recipe exactly as I it is given.

weluvpiggies Posted 4 May 2016 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 8

Well, I tried this recipe with my organic cake mix and it didn't turn out well.  It came out like a gluten free/vegan cake, dense and sticky moist.  :(  I'm not sure what I did wrong, I used lemon juice and lemonade for the liquid, and coconut yogurt in place of the sour cream, and I used 3/4 C of cake flour instead of 1 C of reg. flour.  (otherwise the recipe was the same)

Anyone know what might have gone wrong?

Thanks!!!

kakeladi Posted 4 May 2016 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 8

Oh dear ;(  Soooo sorry it didn't work.  I'm now thinking the flour (and maybe other ingredients) are different enough to cause problems  Though I'm not good with the actual science of cake baking/mixes I wonder if the lemon j could have affected it adversely?   

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 5 May 2016 , 12:41am
post #7 of 8

Hmmm, part of the problem might be that lemon juice (very acidic) was used to replace milk (alkaline). The leavener in this cake mix was probably not appropriate for the substitution. In a situation like this, it helps to add a little baking soda. And to substitute cake flour for all-purpose flour, it's best to use a scale and substitute ounce for ounce. Reducing the amount of flour would definitely have a negative effect on the final product.

weluvpiggies Posted 5 May 2016 , 11:45am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the input, I'll try it another time with a Betty Crocker!  ;)    I wish I knew more about food science.  I often bake gluten free and vegan as well and I'd love to have more education into the science of baking!

Thanks again! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%