Does Anyone Know How To Make This Gold Look?

Decorating By cakes6 Updated 29 Apr 2016 , 12:49pm by Nana52

cakes6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes6 Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 12

Does anyone know how to make this gold sequence look? I have a customer looking for a 2 tier cake with it. Thanks so much!

[postimage id="3730" thumb="900"]

11 replies
Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 12

These are gold sequins. They're made from gelatin, water & gold luster dust. All is mixed & the gold liquified gelatin is painted thinly on plastic sheets, left to dry completely, carefully peeled off plastic in sheets, then the sequins are punched out with a hole puncher & collected. They are secured one at a time to the cake w a tiny touch of gel & sprayed w gold luster spray. Very time consuming! There is a tutorial online, look up edible sequins cake. Avoid gold "highlighter" powder, it's not edible, but there are edible versions of gold coloring. Good luck!

Nancylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylou Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 12

Another option is to use those little candy sprinkles that look like sequins and paint them gold.  Here are two tutorials that show how to do this.

Hope this helps.

cakes6 Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 12

Thank you so much! I found the tutorial!!

Nancylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylou Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 12

Oops, only one of my links made it ... here is the other tutorial with pictures only.

http://thecakeblog.com/gold-sequin-cake-tutorial

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 12

Be aware that the health depts do NOT approve of*ANY!* gold or silver dusts for consumption. They very recently put out a bulletin saying so.  Though I have not kept up with the very latest information I don't believe there is any that has been approved by the food & drug here in the US.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 12

@kakeladi ‍ is right, the FDA doesn't want people using the gold on food. There are some brands of metallic food paints that are approved in some other countries, but the FDA hasn't approved them. There might be one or two that are approved as edible but don't use the ones that are labelled non-toxic or decorative use only.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 12
In no particular order here are a few companies that make/supply dusts that meet FDA guidelines:  sugarpaste.com; pristinepowders.com; thesugarart.com; globalsugarart.com; fondantsource.com
Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/829154/is-there-an-edible-petalluster-dust#oOh7EVSTwA2cKsGy
maybenot Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 9:30pm
post #9 of 12

You can find edible gold luster dust. You could also use edible gold airbrush color--and you can pump that up with some extra edible gold luster and/or pearl dust.  There are also edible gold sprays.  I like the ChefMaster and PME sprays best.  Wilton also makes one.

In no particular order here are a few companies that make/supply dusts that meet FDA guidelines:  sugarpaste.com; pristinepowders.com; thesugarart.com; globalsugarart.com; fondantsource.com

maybenot Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 9:33pm
post #10 of 12

Quote by @maybenot on 2 minutes ago

Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/829154/is-there-an-edible-petalluster-dust#oOh7EVSTwA2cKsGy

You can use edible gold luster dust, edible gold airbrush paint [you can also paint with it by hand and you can add extra edible gold luster or pearl to it], or the edible gold sprays.  I like the PME and ChefMaster sprays best.  Wilton also makes one.

cakes6 Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 10:56am
post #11 of 12

Thanks so much to everyone!!! I found the tutorials and watched them, ordered the materials, and also spoke with the customer, and she wants to do a 2 tier (one dummy with the gold and one edible white).

Thanks again!!!!

Nana52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana52 Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 12:49pm
post #12 of 12

Doing the dummy layer with the gold and the edible layer with the white is such a clever compromise!  Get the look without the "danger."  I love this site for suggestions such as this.   

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%