Fondant Topper Directly On Frosted Cake? Is Covering A Cake With Fondant An Absolute Must?

Decorating By newbeeatcakes Updated 11 Apr 2016 , 9:21pm by newbeeatcakes

newbeeatcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbeeatcakes Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 5

Hi

I am planning to bake a cake for a kids party. I was wondering if I can place fondant figurines and toppers directly on the cake covered with ganache/buttercream frosting? Or do I necessarily need to cover the cake with fondant before placing fondant toppers? Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks! 

4 replies
cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 5

If they are heavier than what they are sitting on (buttercream) then they will sink. If you insert a toothpick into them prior to placing on a cake, then they wont?

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 5

You can sit them directly on the ganache or buttercream - they may sink in a tad, but depending on what figures you are doing, that may be ok.  Inserting a small skewer or toothpick into the bottom of the figure before inserting may help with the sinking issue - Otherwise, maybe you could make a fondant plaque for the figures to sit on?

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 5

Unless they are pretty heavy you should be fine.  If in doubt, insert a thin straw cut to the height of your cake at the position where the figure will sit to act as a dowel to support it.  If you put a toothpick or skewer in the bottom of the figure, you can then stick it in the straw to anchor it.....try piping some icing into the straw to help secure it.

newbeeatcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbeeatcakes Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you for the tips everyone. Yes, the toppers are quite heavy, so I would go with your suggestions rather than risking them sinking. Thanks for helping out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%