Doctoring Yellow Cake Mix

Baking By forjenns Updated 30 Mar 2016 , 6:37pm by kakeladi

forjenns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forjenns Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 2

I've been digging through a lot of different recipes for doctoring a yellow cake mix.

When I make a "white cake" I prefer to use vanilla yogurt over the sour cream unless specifically requested and depending on how dense I want the cake I switch between greek vanilla or regular vanilla (greek is much more dense).

I have been asked specifically asked to make a yellow cake and of course getting down to the wire as usual.  I do not want the sour of the sour cream, not so sure I want the super sweet of the vanilla (don't want either to take away from the butter flavor).  Has anyone here tried or uses plain yogurt to replace the fats?  Do you think it will greatly impact the flavor?

Just thought I would see what other bakers are doing with this.

Yes I've looked through the forum but all the conversations I found are more then 5 years old and I am not sure how relevant they are any more.

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 2

Have you tried the WASC recipe using a yellow cake mix?   http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe  Yes it uses sour cream but........some have used yogurt instead and have had great results.  

And for your info:  Personally I find Greek yogurt *overly* sour!  So why not try the recipe as stated and one using the yogurt giving family & friends some for a 'blind taste test'.   Only you would know which is which.  Everyone's taste buds are different :)  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%