Posting Gum Paste Flowers

Business By sugar-gardener Updated 14 Mar 2016 , 3:54pm by Jeff_Arnett

sugar-gardener Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar-gardener Posted 12 Mar 2016 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 6

Hello....

I am trying to work out to post unwired sugar (gum) paste flowers - all the information I can find about posting sugar flowers seems to be for wired ones. Maybe there is a reason for this, as all my attempts at packing things like tiny hand made sugar daisies end in broken petals! I just wondered if anyone had any experience of this.....I'm based in the UK and would only want to post within the UK.  Any advice would be gratefully received! 

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Mar 2016 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 6

Since you are in the UK I think when you say "post" you mean mail?  

No experience - especially in the UL (LOL) but.............most of the flowers I have purchased here in the US have been thicker than most you would make yourself.  Maybe  you need to make them thicker.

sugar-gardener Posted 12 Mar 2016 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 6

Yes I mean mail.....sorry! Interesting, I will try making them thicker. I do love the thinness of gum paste though, but your advice seems very sensible. Thank you!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Mar 2016 , 12:02am
post #4 of 6

You do need to make them thicker than you would if you weren't shipping them. I use a bunch of different things to pack my flowers, depending on what type they are. Cotton/polyester fiberfill and mattress padding are your friends. Always use a box that's larger than what you're shipping and lots of extra padding.

sugar-gardener Posted 13 Mar 2016 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you! I never thought of fiberfill. Sounds idea.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 14 Mar 2016 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 6

I agree...if you make GP flowers to ship, they need to be thicker than you would do for a cake you are selling yourself....while very thin petals are more lifelike, they are just too fragile to be bounced around in a box in shipment.  

Also, make sure you use a gumpaste recipe that dries rock hard too!  I store my flowers at home in shredded plastic Easter Grass...the kind that comes in a chid's Easter Basket.  I pick up a lot of it when it goes on clearance after Easter. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%