Wafer Paper

Decorating By sleaky77 Updated 6 Mar 2016 , 4:59am by sleaky77

sleaky77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleaky77 Posted 5 Mar 2016 , 4:38am
post #1 of 5

I am making a 1920's theme cake for a friend. I am going to use the wafer paper to make a feathery "skirt" on the bottom level. I was wondering what was the best icing to stick the wafer paper too.

My preference would be to not cover the cake in fondant and just use delicious SMBC but I am worried that it will leech into the wafer paper and make it soggy.  

Help Please!!

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Mar 2016 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 5

The main thing with wafer paper is moisture and humidity, so I'd avoid sticking it directly to buttercream ahead of time. What I'd do, though, if I wanted to do what you're talking about, is to stick the feathery pieces to a panel that's the same height as the bottom tier, then wrap the panel around the cake right before displaying it. The panel of wafer paper would be what was touching the cake, not the individual feathery pieces, and if you wait until right before display time to attach it it won't have time to suck up a lot of oils or moisture from the cake and soften up.

You'll also be able to remove it from the cake before serving, because  let's face it, wafer paper doesn't taste good, and you don't want to eat a bunch of feathery pieces stuck to a cake. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Mar 2016 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 5

And I was going to add...Whatever you do, don't refrigerate the cake, because when it comes back to room temp the condensation that forms is what destroys and warps the wafer paper. You can put wafer on a cake beforehand and leave it at room temp, but if you refrigerate the cake with it on the cake that's when you can run into trouble.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Mar 2016 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 5

I have put wafer paper on ABC and had  no problems.   Don't know how it will work on  SMBC.

sleaky77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleaky77 Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 4:59am
post #5 of 5

Thanks, I'm thinking I might do a practice run this weekend. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%