How To Defrost Cakes????

Baking By diana_mozo Updated 15 Jan 2016 , 5:00pm by kakeladi

diana_mozo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diana_mozo Posted 15 Jan 2016 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 3

hello! so, i want to bake my birthday cakes, they are two tiers: two 9" moist vanilla cake (bottom tier) and two 5" moist chocolate cake (top tier). I want to bake them a week in advance and freeze them. the thing is, how do i defrost them? I'm going to wrap them with about 3 layers of plastic wrap. I want to decorate them with buttercream the same day of my bday (the dinner is at the night). should I leave them in the fridge with tha platic wrap? for how long?

2 replies
deebakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deebakescakes Posted 15 Jan 2016 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 3

Hi Diana . What I have done in the past when thawing out cakes is leaving them in the plastic wrap, out at room temperature for an hour or so. I live in south Texas and things don't take too long to thaw out here. (Humidity is awful).frowning.png

Depending on where you live could determine how long your cakes will take. I know it's not the best information, but I hope it helps some!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Jan 2016 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 3

I have defrosted cakes several ways.  Take out of fzr the night before and put in frig;  or if it's not hot weather, thaw on kitchen counter.    For fzing only 1 week I would just put the layers in plastic bags (like bread wrappers).     One time in a real pinch I placed a chair over the floor vent and put the fzn cake on it.  Thawed in about 20-30 minutes.  Of course, the bigger the layer, the longer it will take to thaw.  Since you want to work on it in the a.m. I suggest putting the fzn layers in the frig late the night befrore.  Definately leave them wrapped while thawing. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%