Good Grief! Need Help With A Number Cake....

Decorating By Jinkies Updated 20 Nov 2015 , 5:07am by julia1812

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 19 Nov 2015 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 8

I have never done a number cake before.  What is the easiest way to do it?  I need the number 30.  I'm thinking either use some round cakes and piece them together or make a sheet cake and carve the numbers using a template.  

Also thinking I could get an oval cake pan and carve from there.  I don't want one of those weird number pans with the blocks in them because I don't think I would use it much and I don't like the squared number looks.

I'm also thinking I should keep it to 2 layers for the stability factor as it will not have fondant on it, only buttercream, and the numbers are thin (?).  But, I need a good 40 servings so I'm really not sure how big to make it.

Clearly this is not rocket science, but my brain is fried....and I need to write up a quote so I need to figure out how long this sucker is gonna take me :/

7 replies
gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 19 Nov 2015 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 8

Use a 1/4 sheet to cut each number from. Cut numbers perhaps in a grafitti type font (big bubble) to maximize the servings (use most of the cake.) This will assure reaching desired number of servings.

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 19 Nov 2015 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 8

Hmmm. that sounds easy.  Take 1/2 sheet, cut in half, ice & stack, then carve number. Yeah, that sounds much easier then pasting together round cakes.

Thank you @gigiel  per usual, I was overthinking things, haha!

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 20 Nov 2015 , 12:54am
post #4 of 8

Sheet cakes are great but a large oval pan would be really good for 30 too.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Nov 2015 , 1:15am
post #5 of 8
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2015 , 3:29am
post #6 of 8

ouch -- this is painful -- i just tossed out all of my patterns yesterday including my number cake templates -- isn't there some kind of murphy's law that about that --

so anyway i vote for the bubble letters that gigiel proposed -- make sure the holes, nooks & crannies are accessible to your piping bags and spatulas -- a little bit bigger curves and angles can work out a little easier --

best to you

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 20 Nov 2015 , 5:07am
post #7 of 8

Round cakes are easiest for number 3 and 0 and have no wastage. 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 20 Nov 2015 , 5:07am
post #8 of 8

Sorry. I mean the round ones with a hole in the middle....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%