Just Grrrrrr!!!

Lounge By SimplyCakesNMore Updated 19 Oct 2015 , 10:49am by Jinkies

SimplyCakesNMore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyCakesNMore Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 4:50am
post #1 of 54

The audacity of some people!  I'm needing to vent and this is probably the only reasonable place to do so.  So bear with me and feel free to tell me to suck it up and shut up.  

I babysit for a girl and this weekend her fiance graduated from the police academy.  So, they threw him a little shin-dig complete with a cake from me.  When she ordered the cake I gave her the price, which, even though I know not to do it, was very low for the work I did.  I charged her $70 for an 8-inch vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream decorated as a police uniform.  Well, she didn't come to pick it up before I had to leave for a birthday party for my nephew, so I entrusted my mother to take payment when she got it.  My mom didn't count the money before the girl left, didn't get the signed cake release form, and when I got home that night the girl had only paid $50.  I am SO angry over it!  So I sent her a message and asked how she liked the cake and she sang its praises.  Then she had the nerve to say, "I couldn't remember how much you said it was, so if I owe you anything let me know."  So I told her she still owed me $20 and she was supposed to bring it by today.  Guess who didn't show up!  She wants me to do her daughter's birthday cake-- a two-tier cowgirl themed cake with fondant horses-- next month.  Yeah.  Not happening unless I get that $20.  UGH!  

Ok.  Rant almost over.  

I don't blame my mom for any of this, either.  She's recovering from surgery and her meds have her a bit loopy.  So I guess that this is really my fault.  But you'd think I'd be able to trust someone who calls me her "friend" to pay me fairly and not try to cheat me.

53 replies
SimplyCakesNMore Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 5:04am
post #2 of 54

Here is a pic for reference on what I'm wanting paid for.  

561c90f269d78.jpeg

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 5:25am
post #3 of 54

What a cute cake! at least she brought up the money.  I would think if she really didn't intend to pay you the difference she wouldn't have brought it up.

and now you have leverage for the other cake. You could always add on $20 to the price of the other .  If she asks why it's more expensive, you can tell her and she would have no reason to balk or be shocked.

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 6:09am
post #4 of 54

A-hole. 

Add the 20 on the new cake and GET ADVANCE PAYMENT.

Don't cheat yourself again either. That price wasn't fair to you.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 6:21am
post #5 of 54

So you know this prson, is she a ditz or do you think she's trying to cheat you?  This highlights the point that you need to collect complete payment before delivery of the cake.  Not just with this one customer but with all of them.  And you babysit for her? Maybe she figures she'll get around to you eventually.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 6:27am
post #6 of 54

Sorry that happened to you! It's annoying running after money especially if it's a "friend". Hope she'll pay you! I would make another cake for her otherwise and adding the 20$ difference onto the new cake will make it look like she got away with not paying the full price initially.  I couldn't keep my mouth shut and would tell her what I think...

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 7:26am
post #7 of 54

I maybe be trying to see the best in people when it isn't warranted but I think that if she was trying to cheat you and not pay up, she would have just come up with an excuse when she went to collect the cake?  It's sounds malicious but I have many friends who, while they have a heart of gold, have memories worse than a seive.  Like the others said...add the extra 20 on to the next order and take payment up front :-)  I love the cake though!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 11:00am
post #8 of 54

That stinks. Payment in advance from now on!!

SimplyCakesNMore Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 1:25pm
post #9 of 54

Thank you for the compliments, everyone!  And, yes, I know her.  I've known her for 7 years and used to go to church with her.  I'm not sure if she was trying to cheat me or if she was just having a bad day, but to me, if you're not sure how much you owe,  you ask BEFORE picking up the cake and not just assume it is ok to short the seller.  I usually do get advanced payment for my cakes, but because she's a "friend" I thought it would be ok.  There are only two other people that I ever allow to do "balance on delivery" and just get a 50% deposit from them at the time the contract is signed.  But they've been regular clients for a few years, so I know I can trust them to actually pay and they never complain about my prices.  I knew I was to blame for this, but it still hurt my feelings pretty badly.  I've learned my lesson, though.  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 1:27pm
post #10 of 54

i love your cake -- sorry that happened -- doesn't sound like she's going to stiff you for the twenty though -- but having to wait does suck --

you're running a tab for her be firm but don't let your anger out on her -- nobody's gonna value you or your work unless you do...

best

ps -- hope you mom gets/feels/is better soon

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 13 Oct 2015 , 1:29pm
Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 1:48pm
post #11 of 54

Can I also ask what you used to do that lettering?  I have never seen a style like that and it's SOOOOOOOO neat...

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 2:51pm
post #12 of 54

You're right on one thing....you way undercharged for that cake! I'd have charged minimum $125!

By the way, the cake is overall great, but your lettering is excellent!  How did you cut your congratulations so perfectly?

*Last edited by Jeff_Arnett on 13 Oct 2015 , 2:55pm
Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 2:52pm
post #13 of 54

This is sort of off point here I guess, but was just thinking and want to see what others think.

Do you think clients tend to judge what they should pay based on the size of the cake rather than the complexity of it's design.  I get that a lot....

I explain to people that its not much more work and not a whole lot more expense for me to bake one size or another cake....but the decorating elements are a different story!

*Last edited by Jeff_Arnett on 13 Oct 2015 , 2:53pm
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 2:53pm
post #14 of 54

maybe -- i think they judge mostly by the size of their pocketbook

SimplyCakesNMore Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 5:02pm
post #15 of 54

The lettering was done with a Cricut Cake and an icing sheet. No talent needed, lol. Same with the GCSDs on the collar.

I think a lot of people do judge the price by the size of the cake, at least around here. But I have found a very few that understand how business works and value skill over a dime. They are rare, though. 

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 5:53pm
post #16 of 54

First of all, I love the cake.  I agree that you should recoup the 20.00 dollars.  I would put the ball in her court and tell her you will do her daughter's cake and will be happy to add in the 20.00.  I would also say that since this is a more complex cake, I will need the money for the cake up front.  I'm sure this will not hurt her feelings, especially if she is a friend.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 6:52pm
post #17 of 54

The whole cake was great, but the writing was really sharp looking.  That cricut machine must be great to use.

(ps: I hope that you got your handcuffs back)

SimplyCakesNMore Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 10:09pm
post #18 of 54

Haha.  It is!  It took a while to figure out the pressure and speed to keep the sheet from breaking, but now I want to use it for everything!  

I haven't heard from her at all.  I'm honestly not worried about the $2 handcuffs, lol.  

And @-K8memphis  , thank you!  She's getting cabin fever, but she's doing well.

SimplyCakesNMore Posted 14 Oct 2015 , 2:48am
post #19 of 54

@Jeff_Arnett  , here is an example of the mindset of people in my area.  Don't you just love people like this?!

561dc281836c3.png561dc28278332.png

Jeff_Arnett Posted 14 Oct 2015 , 11:56am
post #20 of 54

Yep...you wish them luck and move on!

mymamacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymamacakes Posted 14 Oct 2015 , 4:09pm
post #21 of 54

Where do you live?  That cake is BEAUTIFUL!  Looks flawlessly done.  You need to charge way more!!

SimplyCakesNMore Posted 14 Oct 2015 , 4:16pm
post #22 of 54

I'm in Monteagle, TN.  And thank you!  The picture doesn't show the issue I had with elephant skin, and it was hard to see in person, too.  I gave up perfection in covering it after 3 tries and it ripping each time.  So, I used a big patch to cover the hole and made it look like the back of the shirt, lol.  I think I used too much coloring and broke down the fondant.  :(  

-K8memphis Posted 14 Oct 2015 , 9:18pm
post #23 of 54

you are 4 hours 13 minutes from memphis where i live

^^^ trivia for the day ^^^

yay tennessee

facepunch.png 

SimplyCakesNMore Posted 15 Oct 2015 , 1:37am
post #24 of 54

Yup, yup!  Good ole TN.  I live in one of the most backwoodsy,  redneck, cousins married cousins, Bible thumpin', football-worshipping towns, too.  Is Memphis any better?  

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2015 , 2:09am
post #25 of 54

memphis has all that and more --  i heart.png memphis --

i think we are into basketball more than football and by 'we' i mean them not me --

re: the cousins marrying cousins thing  i mean jerry lee has a house near here --

we have st jude as our crown jewel -- hurray for middle eastern comics danny thomas of course --

we have elvis and his good deeds and lasting legacy -- did you know he helped get our trauma center established here -- more trivia >> my husband had a brain injury from a wreck and  that means elvis helped put humpty back together at the trauma center he started and is still supported by his fans --

we are a sorta big city with a small town mentality -- it's a great place -- it's beautiful here -- yes good ole ten oh see 

Norasmom2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom2 Posted 15 Oct 2015 , 2:17am
post #26 of 54

She's just a ditz.  Doesn't sound like she intentionally stiffed you.  That cake is awesome, in my area I would charge about $85 or so, but I am not baking as much now. You will get your money but you will probably have to remind her a bunch more times…

I had the same problem with a friend once, after 3 reminders she finally paid me.  I felt like a nag but at the time, I needed the money.  In her defense, she has 5 kids….But after that she didn't order from me again, so I wonder if she didn't like what I made.  (cake pops--very simple!)

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 15 Oct 2015 , 7:13am
post #27 of 54

I'm with Norasmom AFA the "ditz" part is concerned.  I have similar happen every summer with a friend of ours re her young son's birthday.  I'll quote her X price and she always pays me minus, say, $10-20.  We don't see her very often so more often than not I don't bother trying to tack that money onto next year's order.  By that time I will have forgotten about it too.

SimplyCakesNMore Posted 15 Oct 2015 , 3:37pm
post #28 of 54

Well, I'm a single mom so that $20 is a big deal for me. Maybe that's why I took it so personally. That's money I needed to buy clothes for my 5-month-old. Still haven't heard from her, either.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2015 , 5:02pm
post #29 of 54

no bueno

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 15 Oct 2015 , 5:24pm
post #30 of 54

SimplyCakes, you did the work and you deserve to get paid.  It's that simple.  I don't buy that she's a ditz, she just got away with it.  How come no one ever thinks the price was more and gives extra money???? Next time she orders, tell her that you have an across the board policy in place now that all orders must be paid in full 2 weeks prior to the delivery-no exceptions.

Think about it as being money taken away from your baby and you'll have no problem doing it.  If you feel bad about it, come on here and we'll cheer you on :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%