Tips For This Wedding Cake

Decorating By cupcakemama3 Updated 9 Oct 2015 , 3:37pm by melmar02

cupcakemama3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemama3 Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 2:06am
post #1 of 17

A few questions....first, how do I get this pale pink. So far, every pink I use is still too dark, even when I just use a smidge. Any suggestions? And, the cake will be covered in American buttercream. I told the bride that I did not know how well the rosettes would hold up on buttercream. I'm worried they will be to heavy but she wanted to try it anyway.  Told her I couldn't be responsible for last minute changes if it was necessary and she's ok with that. Do you guys think it will work? Also, any suggestions with making the little diamond things on the top tier?560c953b62552.jpeg

16 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 2:35am
post #2 of 17

I'd use a tiny bit of rose pink for that color. If I was going to do the rosettes on buttercream I would make the flower centers on toothpicks and build the flowers up using a disc of gumpaste that the centers went through and then had the ruffle petal stuck to that. Then you'd basically have a large disc with the flower made on that, and you could attach the whole thing to the side of the buttercream with the toothpick inserted into the cake for extra stability. Does that make sense? It makes sense in my head, haha!

cupcakemama3 Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 10:37am
post #3 of 17

Well, let me ask you this.  I've never thought about it until now. Do you think it would work if I piped ruffled buttercream flowers right onto the cake? I know it would be hard because it's vertical and not horizontal. What do you think?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 17

one of the problems with pale pink is any butter and brown vanilla in the icing -- you need a white icing to get pale pink otherwise you'll get peach -- and anytime you need a pale color -- put a little food color into about two tablespoons of icing then  just apply a bit of that, the colored icing to your amount you want to be real pale -- in other words add colored icing instead of food color -- thin it out first

cupcakemama3 Posted 4 Oct 2015 , 11:01am
post #5 of 17

@costumeczar  I think putting them on a disk is the way to go too. Great idea. Thanks so much! And I'll definately try the rise pink. 

@k8memphis I've never tried putting my color I a small bit of icing then mixing into the larger batch. I'm going to give that a try. Thanks!

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 4 Oct 2015 , 11:08am
post #6 of 17

I think Cupadee had a youtube video on making buttercream ruffle flowers. She pipes them onto parchment, and then freezes them on a a dummy that has been cut in half so it will stand flat on its side. 

kandyslife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandyslife Posted 4 Oct 2015 , 11:53am
post #7 of 17

hey just wanted to add that you should have a contract or a paper signed or whetever with the bride in case the rosettes did not hold up, and that it's not your responsibility. she might say its okay now if they fall or something, but on her wedding day she might change her mind and threaten to give bad feed back blah blah blah

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Oct 2015 , 12:06pm
post #8 of 17

no, wait, the rosettes should not be falling off and if you anticpate that in writing you'd lose me as a client

cupcakemama3 Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 2:37am
post #9 of 17

@melmar02 Do you have a link to that?

@-K8memphis  I think @Kandyslife was talking about the fact that I told the bride that I didn't know how well those large rosettes would hold to buttercream, because I seriously don't.  I've put small cascading flowers on buttercream before but not such large ones. 

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 3:32am
post #10 of 17

Have you tried  Wilton peach color ? it looks more like pale peach color than pale rose color. Just saying because I love Wilton peach color and use it a lot.

cupcakemama3 Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 10:37am
post #11 of 17

No I haven't tried it. I'll take a look into it . I actually have some! Thanks!

RobertBarnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobertBarnett Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 12:18pm
post #12 of 17

I would make the rosettes out of pale pink rice paper. Nice and light and not a worry about the weight.

Robert

cupcakemama3 Posted 8 Oct 2015 , 3:07am
post #13 of 17

I've been hearing a lot about rice paper but I'm not very familiar with it. I may want to try it in the future. I have found a tutorial on a buttercream rosette cake that has  the large flowers like this one. I had to actually purchase it so I hope it's worth the money! I'll let you all know! Thanks for all the advice.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 8 Oct 2015 , 7:00am
post #14 of 17

I don't get this...why do people say 'I want a cake that looks like that'...but I don't like fondant and I want it in buttercream.  Well then, it won't look like that!  Grrr.  Mini rant over...

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 8 Oct 2015 , 3:46pm
post #15 of 17

Exactly!  Sometime decorators, either from lack of experience or just the desire to have the contract, agree to take on things that they haven't tried or are perhaps outside their skill set...and that's a recipe for a disaster.

I am the expert...I know what I can and cannot do, what can be done with this media or that, and when a customer asks I explain the options and possibilities...and they either go with it, choose another design option or else shop elsewhere.

melmar02 Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 3:35pm
post #16 of 17

melmar02 Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 3:37pm
post #17 of 17

@cupcakemamma3  I tried to post the link, but it didn't work. Go to youtube and search for "cupadeecakes". She only has like 6 videos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%