Splitting Cake Layera

Baking By lisasnider Updated 28 Sep 2015 , 8:32pm by Jinkies

lisasnider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisasnider Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 3

I see a lot of posts about people splitting their 2 inch layers in half to get 4 layers of cake. I have never been able to do that with a 2 inch cake pan. The layers are too thin. I've tried collaring my pans and was able to get 2 1-inch layers from each layer.

So..I prefer 4 layers to 2 but collaring is a lot of work (and I've been having problems with the cakes falling). Is there a way to get 4 layers from a 2 inch pan?

Hope this isn't confusing..just wondering if there are other options before I invest in new 3" pans.

2 replies
Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 3

I use both 2" and 3" pans, so my layers are usually about 3/4-1" tall, and I don't have any trouble with them. I use towel strips around my pans, and then I level and split whatever size it happens to be.

if your cakes are falling, look into reasons such as under baking or too much leavening.  The problem is probably not your pan  

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 3

It may just be that your recipes do not yield enough batter.  I have a couple of recipes that I had to add another 1/4-1/2 x's the recipe to get enough batter for two 2" layers.

Once I level and tort both cakes  I get four 3/4" layers.  After I fill and cover it makes about a 4 inch cake.

As Brookebakescake said, Towel strips work well too, much better than the Wilton wraps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%