Minion Cake

Decorating By Britterfly Updated 26 Aug 2015 , 9:22pm by MinaBakes

Britterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britterfly Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 11:29am
post #1 of 8

I know these kind of cakes are like 4 layers of cake with a ball/dome shaped cake on top, but what size ball pan do you use for the top of your minion cakes? I have the wilton ball pan (about 6") & the soccer ball pan (I think it's the size of an 8" round cake). What size do you think they used for this cake?....

55d317d34d966.jpeg

*Last edited by Britterfly on 18 Aug 2015 , 11:32am
7 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 11:43am
post #2 of 8

You can make them any size you want, just carve the top of the cake into the dome shape. No need to use a specific dome pan.

stephsweetreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephsweetreats Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 8

Not wanting to be a downer here, but if you plan on selling this cake it breaks copyright laws.  Not to beat the issue to death, it has just become one of my biggest pet peeves lately :)  Super cute cake though, if I had legal permission it would be great to make!

carolsnz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolsnz Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 4:40am
post #4 of 8

I made one of these cakes and I used 4 layers of a 6" tin and a 6" ball tin.

Britterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britterfly Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 8

Thank y'all for the help! I did not know that about the copyright law. Thanks for the info. It doesn't look like it's stopping anyone from making these kind of cakes though & most of my customers request character cakes like this, it would put a big dent in my orders if I told everyone no for these kind of cakes. :(

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 8

But Britterfly, think if you create something unique and then people start copying it and making money out of the thing which is your brain child and you worked really hard to create... how would that feel? And is it worth making a bit of money now the risk of a lawsuit and having your business closed down? You could even get a ban in making cakes! If we don't respect the creators, then how can we ever hope anyone will respect us? Just a thought. Why not steer your client towards a new idea, maybe a capsule-shaped cake but in a different colour with a plastic minion on top? Then you can add anything that refers to Minions like a beach, palm trees, water...

MinaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MinaBakes Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 8

I made one just recently for a family member, no charge. I did not use a ball pan. It depends on what size cakes you are using. If you're building on 6 in cakes, then use a 6 in ball pan. Same with 8 in pans, use an 8 in ball pan if you already have it. 

55de2ddabd1e2.jpeg

MinaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MinaBakes Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 8

He was a life size minon! At about 25 lbs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%