Cake Decorations: Succulents

Decorating By Lolli3285 Updated 17 Jun 2016 , 7:53pm by Jackie

Lolli3285 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lolli3285 Posted 17 Jul 2015 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 11

Has anyone here ever done cake decorations of succulents?  I have a wedding that their flowers and table décor are succulents.  I am doing their cake and need ideas/tutorial on how to do succulents.  Any assistance is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

10 replies
pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 17 Jul 2015 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 11

I suggest you try Google, Images tab, search for "cake succulents."

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 17 Jul 2015 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 11

There's a really good tutorial on CC. I'll see if I can find it. I'm not near my computer right now

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 17 Jul 2015 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 11

Wilton has a succulent cutter set that is super handy. They were 9.99 at my local craft store and there are several cutters in the set.    There are instructions in the box on how to make them (although me personally I do better with video intructions.   

I make my hibiscus flowers using one of the succulent cutters for that set so there are multiple uses for the cutters to justify the purchase ;)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Jul 2015 , 2:09am
post #6 of 11

I've done tons of succulents...You can use individual rose petal cutters, daisy cutters or the five-petal rose cutters. I also use the pointy oval cutters that you use for daylily petals to make big ones. What I'd do is look at pictures of real succulents and see which shapes you like, then figure out which cutter will work best for that. It will also depend on whether you want to wire the petals or not. This is a link to my shop with the succulents searched for. The top left is individual wired rose petals, the next one is daisy cutters, the next one is 5-petal cutters. The larger ones in the listing on the bottom left were mostly wired, but you can make some unwired ones using graduated sizes of the 5-petal cutters and just layer them. The one on the bottom right is a teardrop-shaped cutter, I don't even know which one it is but I have a bunch of random shapes that I just toss into a box and I use as needed. It might be a small orchid petal cutter.  https://www.etsy.com/shop/ACakeToRemember/search?search_query=succulent&order=date_desc&view_type=gallery&ref=shop_search

Lolli3285 Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 11

I want to thank everyone for their assistance.  I have checked everything out that you have suggested and you gave me lots of great information.  I am also taking a Craftsy class that does succulents.  The wedding cake should be great.  By the way, she is having me do mini cheesecakes and an 8" cheesecake rather than the traditional wedding cake.  The succulent decorations will be for the 8" bride/groom cheesecake. 

birdsbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdsbug Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 8:09pm
post #8 of 11

I did a cake with actual Ghost Plant succulents recently.  I rinsed them VERY well (lavender, too), waited for them to dry a bit, then placed on the cake at venue.  I read that Ghost Plants are not just food safe, but actually edible! http://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Ghost_Plant_8915.php Not all succulents are edible, in fact, I believe some are poisonous.  (Do your research!)   In case you didn't want to mess with making your own... :)55b690148f703.jpeg

Lolli3285 Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 8:18pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you for the information.  I decided to make mine as I enjoy the challenge of doing something new.  I'm a home baker who does cakes for friends and family and just recently was contacted to do more decorated cakes.  I do the mini cheesecakes for fund raisers and was approached by the bride as she doesn't care for wedding cake.  It was my decision to make the 8" for the bride and groom statues (hand painted porcelain done by the brides best friend) and then to make succulent decorations to make the cake look so much more special.  Again, thanks for your information.

birdsbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdsbug Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 11

(cut off the word "NOT"; as in "NOT all succulents are edible".)

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 17 Jun 2016 , 7:53pm
post #11 of 11

Just wanted to post a quick update, as some people have been stumbling upon this thread:

450x260_gumpaste-succulent-tutorial-3085

Gumpaste Succulent Tutorial

450x260_how-to-make-potted-gumpaste-succ

You can search for more succulent cake tutorials here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/tutorial/query/succulent

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%