Will My Strawberries Dry Out??

Decorating By rearly Updated 1 Jul 2015 , 4:15am by remnant3333

rearly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rearly Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 12:30am
post #1 of 12

I made this cake today and I have a client picking up tomorrow.  The cake is being refrigerated.  Just wondering if my strawberries will dry out?  Do I need to cover them in some type of syrup or something??  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

11 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 1:11am
post #2 of 12

Drying out won't be a problem. Bleeding out juices is the issue. Usually when we use fresh cut strawberries, we use a glaze with them so that the juices don't drip all over. You can buy packets of a glaze mix at the supermarket.  There are a couple of recipes online, some are in recipes for fresh fruit flans.

Usually if we use strawberries, we cut them and place them close to serving time.

Bobeba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bobeba Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 1:15am
post #3 of 12

Great ideas SquirrellyCakes. Another simple glaze is apricot jelly that is heated to a liquid and strained. BTW, Happy Canada Day from a fellow Canadian. Great job on the cake. 

SquirrellyCakes Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 1:24am
post #4 of 12

Happy July 1st Canada day to you too Bobeba!  Question- I do use heated apricot jam glaze as a syrup on my cakes but I have never used it as a glaze to stop fruit from bleeding out.  Does it work well?

Oh gosh yes, rearly, you did do a lovely job on the cake. It looks wonderful.

Bobeba Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 12

How did it turn out?

rearly Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 12

I made a glaze of sugar, cornstarch and water and it brushed it on the top layer of strawberries only to wake up in the morning to find they had leaked down the cake :(  At least they didn't leak into the middle of the cake.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 12

The glaze needs to be more of a gel consistency like the kind bakeries put on fruit flans or like strawberry tarts.

Oh gosh rearly, last night I could only see a small part of your cake. Today I can see that it is the Canadian flag. Happy Canada Day tomorrow, fellow Canuck! The flag cake does look great. Sorry the berries did their thing. Doesn't look like they did much damage though. Were you able to rescue it?

Too bad blueberries aren't red because they don't bleed out. 

rearly Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 12

Client picked up at 7:00am so no time to rescue it.  She didn't seem to care.  I was embarrassed to say the least (I am a bit of a perfectionist).  The glaze was thick like a gel but I only brushed it on the top berries as the cake was already assembled.  I'm guessing that it was the berries on the bottom that were bleeding.  lol  Nothing like having our nations flag bleed!!! Not very patriotic lol.

Bobeba Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 12

I am not sure what to do about that for the future. All that I have read is that berries just bleed and to perhaps just do it the day of. Your cake looked great. 

rearly Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 12

I think I will stick to strawberries inside instead of on top lol

SquirrellyCakes Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 10:41pm
post #11 of 12

I have less problems with raspberries when they are in season. Actually, the chefs say not to wash them but...

I have had problems with berries in fillings a few times too, so you are doing something right with your fillings.

I give you kudos for the great job you did though! She likely expected the berries to bleed and that is why it didn't bother her.

Remember when Tim Hortons used to make those strawberry tarts? They had a really short shelf life even though they had the gel like glaze. That is why they were made fresh daily.

I know that the berries are different from place to place and some people say they don't have the problems with the bleedout.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 4:15am
post #12 of 12

I really like the design with the strawberries of the Canadian flag!! Great job!! As long as customer was happy is all that counts!! Cake looked cool looking!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%