Cake With Royal Icing In Fridge??

Decorating By KsCakes09 Updated 24 Jun 2015 , 9:35pm by leah_s

KsCakes09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KsCakes09 Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 10

Is it ok to put a cake that has royal icing decorations on it in the fridge? the cake will be covered in fondant first then adding royal icing decos on the fondant.   will it dry ok?

9 replies
Whiteflower1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Whiteflower1 Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 10

Hi there,

we never actually refrigerate our fondant cakes. They sit at room temp 67-68 degrees cool (once the fondant is refrigerated,  it can get gummy looking and wet)  so i would not recommend refrigerating it, or the royal icing. 

Good luck!

marianne

The White Flower Cake Shoppe

KsCakes09 Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 10

Im more concerned about the texture & drying of the  royal icing. Will it still dry? I always refrigerate my fondant cakes & never had a problem.  Always get nervous leaving a cake sitting out...how long can you leave a fondant covered cake at room temp before it goes bad?  Thanks!

Whiteflower1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Whiteflower1 Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 10

We usually fondant them and decorate them a day or two before delivery. We have refrigerated buttercream cakes with fondant or gumpaste decorations that had royal icing on them, and it was ok for a day or two in the fridge. I would not leave it in fridge for kore than a day or two. We have issues with condensation in our walk in/2 door refrigerators, so if you have a fridge that does not produce wetness on the fondant, royal should be fine.

good luck!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 10

Why does everyone want to refrigerate cakes?  SMH

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 10

I guess they refrigerate cakes because:

the filling or frosting or type of cake requires it

they feel safer transporting cold cakes

they feel the cake stays fresher longer.

I don't refrigerate cakes with anything made of royal icing on them.

I don't refrigerate buttercream iced cakes that have fondant decorations on them. I also don't place fondant decorations on buttercream iced cakes too far in advance as I find that buttercream tends to make fondant decorations get soft. Particularly delicate flowers and such.

I don't normally refrigerate fondant covered cakes. Likely because years ago some fondants like the Wilton brand, didn't take kindly to the refrigerator. I never wanted to have condensation to worry about.

KsCakes09 Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 10

Whiteflower1 - Yes I usually do the same....a day or two at the most. Thanks for your advise.

leah s - I just prefer cakes refrigerated... they seem to be more stable when they are cold & because my buttercream is made with cream.  

mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 10

I refrigerate EVERYTHING. 

I live in The armpit of California. (Actually, I usually refer it to a different body part of California, but I want to keep it g rated)  Its been known to be 75 degrees outside on Christmas Day.....We are expecting 104 temps tomorrow.   Even on my best try, my poor house can't maintain a temp of under 77 degrees  on days like that....the hamsters in the ancient AC can't run fast enough......slackers. 

I put a cake in the fridge just last week that was covered in gumpaste flowers.   I had not one single issue with condensation.  It probably helps that we are a dry heat here. 

I plan my cakes to be delivered cold with substantial time for them to come to room temp for idea serving temp. (The difference between cold chocolate cake and room temp is night and day.....I much prefer the room temp cake in texture and taste)

but for logistics, I opt to refrigerate....even fondant.    I have a dedicated fridge for cakes so they don't pick up any refrigerator funk taste and have not once has any issue with the performance of my mediums. 

I haven't tried to refrigerate royal,   I have never actually done a cake with royal on fondant. *mentally makes note to try that*

different strokes for different folks I suppose. 

I will say that I would be in a panic if we had humidity....how do you guys survive the steamy feeling outside with cake?  Mad props to those who have that as their daily factor.  I think I have it pretty easy with the hellishly hot temps in comparison.  

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 10

When we aren't freezing our butts in the  damp cold winters, we are sweating in the humid hot summers here. I maintain a temperature of 70 f year round and that is the only way my baked goods and I survive. The humidity wreaks havoc on my royal icing drying time. I have more luck with Virgin Ice  soy based "Royal Icing mix".

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 9:35pm
post #10 of 10

We joke here that the temp and the humidity are the same number.  Except that it's not a joke.  12 years of wedding cakes, nearly a thousand deliveries and not a one delivered cold.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%