Fondant Help!!

Decorating By Leannescakez Updated 8 Jul 2015 , 3:59pm by Linda2010

Leannescakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leannescakez Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 5:39am
post #1 of 7

Hello, I'm wondering if anybody will share some tips on achieving a good finish.

i think I've tried everything and I'm losing hope,

I've switched to rolling out fondant with trex and adding abit to fondant and I'm still getting pot holes in my fondant once on the cake.

im convinced it's because I've not kneaded it enough or I'm kneading it wrong and adding air bubbles but I find the more I knead it the more bits and air bubbles I get into my fondant which causes another problem (arrrggghhhh ha)

I use a microwave to help warm it up too, and I get the same problem if I use buttercream or ganash but a smooth finish.

please help,

Thankyou

6 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 5:50am
post #2 of 7

I hate it when that happens.  Air bubbles ...grrr! One thing I learned is that I have to knead the fondant like dough. NOT folding it. More like pushing it over my work surface and then turning it around. Also IF there is an air bubble, I poke a hole in it in the early stage of rolling. Once I'm done rolling out the fondant, one can't even see the hole anymore.  

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 7

One thing I've tried and is working, is to knead the fondant really well an hour or two before I use it.  That way it gets really warmed up and pliable but then has a chance to rest so I don't get all the air bubbles.  When I'm ready to roll it, I only knead it a little tiny bit, kinda like Julia1812 said, no folding.  I just kinda push it down then turn it sideways and push it down again a few times.  

I seem to have an easier time and not a lot of bubbles.  I, also, keep a pin there and poke the bubbles as I roll so the holes have time to smooth out.

I find that when I knead it right before use, I have a lot of issues with tearing and bubbles.  So, basically, try letting it rest for various amounts of time after kneading and you'll figure out how much time works for you.  May be different for different fondants.

Hope this helps :)

Leannescakez Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 7

thankyou! I haven't tried that one : ))

yep I'm gonna try what Julia says by pushing down and I will work my fondant an hour before I need it, thankyou jinkies hopefully it'll work ; )))

Leannescakez Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 12:11pm
post #5 of 7

I would just like to thank you both junkies and julia1812,

i can't believe what a few changes and tips can do.

I started to prepare and knead the fondant the way you both said,  and also bought a 1/8 gauge for my rolling pin and I can't believe how few air bubbles I now have.

im finding it now rolls smoother and because I'm able to roll it to a good size and it seems to roll out most imperfections. 

Thankyou very much ; ) 

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 7

Awesome!  So glad we could help you!

High five!!!!!   @julia1812

Linda2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda2010 Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 7

Do not over heat the fondant.  That is what happens when you put it in the microwave an it is very warm. 

Best regards

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%