Doming Of Cakes

Baking By CupcakeCouture1 Updated 21 Jun 2015 , 5:05am by kakeladi

CupcakeCouture1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeCouture1 Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 5

Hello again!

I have another question! I am having a a problem with! Some of my recipes make the cakes dome more Than others and I end up cutting off more than half the cake layer to level it! How can I prevent coming and get the cake to bake more evenly and rise evenly?

4 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 5

Bake at 325°F, use bake strips and upside flower nails in the center of the cakes.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 5:16am
post #3 of 5

Bake Even Strips and Flower Nail on larger cakes --Photo tutorial

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=148262&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 5

I think it is really the make up of the recipe that causes this issue, especially if you get the really high domes regardless of cake pan size. These high domes used to be considered the sign of a good recipe before people started decorating cakes as elaborately and wanting flat surfaces.

You may find that if you leave your batter-filled cake pans on the counter for about 25 minutes or so, you will only get a slightly rounded top. This works with some recipes.

I find that some cake pan shapes effect the dome size too. I find it is more of an issue with the square pans that have true square corners than the ones that have rounded corners.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Jun 2015 , 5:05am
post #5 of 5

I found (using box mix) that baking at 300 degrees F. for about 20 minutes (for a one mix cake any shape) then turning up the oven to 325 for about an equal time was perfect for a NON-domed cake that was moist and tender.  The larger sizes are baked basically the same but for longer times according to the size.  I didn't need a heat corer,  flower nail or bake even stripes with that method.  I used this method in my bakeries over the 30+ years of my decorating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%