Has Anyone Used Aldi Dark Chocolate?

Baking By Jinkies Updated 19 Jun 2015 , 1:05pm by Jinkies

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 7

Wondering if anyone has used the Choceur dark chocolate bars for ganache?  They are 45% cacao. 

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 7

i don't know if i used that exactly but i used some dark choco from there and it was awful

Jinkies Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks K8, That's what I'm wondering.  I usually use Ghiradelli but I've used the 70% from Aldi and it was great but a little too dark for some people.  The 46% smells and tastes great but it doesn't seem to be setting up the same.  Now I'm wondering if I should run out and grab some Ghiradelli before I slap this stuff on and end up having to re-bake everything. <sigh>

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 4:22am
post #4 of 7

It won't set up the same because it will have less cocoa solids compared with the 70%. You might need to add a little extra chocolate to the ganache you've already made - as you would with milk chocolate normally.

Also check the ingredients to see what the fat is in the chocolate - you want cocoa butter, not other nasty fats which give a waxy mouthfeel. Sounds like you're happy with the taste though.

Jinkies Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 12:17pm
post #5 of 7

Quote by @winniemog on 7 hours ago

It won't set up the same because it will have less cocoa solids compared with the 70%. You might need to add a little extra chocolate to the ganache you've already made - as you would with milk chocolate normally.

Also check the ingredients to see what the fat is in the chocolate - you want cocoa butter, not other nasty fats which give a waxy mouthfeel. Sounds like you're happy with the taste though.

Thanks, winniemog.  Since this cake was for a client, I decided to run out and get some ghiradelli.  It does have cocoa butter and may have been fine but didn't want to chance it.  I'm thinking I can maybe make some truffles with it though :)

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 7

I have never seen the Choceur dark chocolate bars, only the white chocolate and their other flavors (like mocha, coconut, etc).  The white chocolate is fantastic for ganache and to melt for buttercream and cakes.  I've made a white chocolate raspberry cake and white chocolate ganache with it.  It's made out of real cocoa butter, not hydrogenated oils like the bagged white chips you find.

I have used Aldi's Moser-Roth chocolate and it is really good.  A long time ago I had reservations about using it for a very special cake I had to do, so I researched it and found that it had won some awards.  I think it comes in 70% and 85% bars.  I used the 70% with a higher ratio of cream (for ganache) and added a little butter and rum to it.  It was phenomenal.  I prefer the 70% for a more sophisticated flavor but for everyday projects where you just need a basic ganache, I'd still go with the Ghirardelli 65% chips. 

I have had people tell me they've tried other chocolates from Aldi which were awful.  For what it's worth, both Choceur and Moser-Roth are imported from Germany (for marketing ya know, when you want to write about how you use only the finest imported chocolate, lol).

Jinkies Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 7

Quote by @AnnieCahill on 29 minutes ago

I have never seen the Choceur dark chocolate bars, only the white chocolate and their other flavors (like mocha, coconut, etc).  The white chocolate is fantastic for ganache and to melt for buttercream and cakes.  I've made a white chocolate raspberry cake and white chocolate ganache with it.  It's made out of real cocoa butter, not hydrogenated oils like the bagged white chips you find.

I have used Aldi's Moser-Roth chocolate and it is really good.  A long time ago I had reservations about using it for a very special cake I had to do, so I researched it and found that it had won some awards.  I think it comes in 70% and 85% bars.  I used the 70% with a higher ratio of cream (for ganache) and added a little butter and rum to it.  It was phenomenal.  I prefer the 70% for a more sophisticated flavor but for everyday projects where you just need a basic ganache, I'd still go with the Ghirardelli 65% chips. 

I have had people tell me they've tried other chocolates from Aldi which were awful.  For what it's worth, both Choceur and Moser-Roth are imported from Germany (for marketing ya know, when you want to write about how you use only the finest imported chocolate, lol).

Yes, I've used the Moser-Roth and the white and agree they are fantastic.  I just found the choceur ones there the other day and figured they'd be good too.  They are a softer chocolate though, maybe that has something to do with it.  When I make gananche with the Moser-Roth or the Ghiradelli , it's nice and smooth and shiny when you mix it.  The choceur was kinda grainy.  Oh well, live and learn.  I learned a lot of caking lessons the last two weeks, haha!  

And, yeah, the finest imported chocolate...from the local grocery store, lol! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%