How To Do This?

Decorating By shortcake6679 Updated 27 Jul 2015 , 1:52am by bvwilliams

shortcake6679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortcake6679 Posted 13 Jun 2015 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 18

Well, I did it. I always say yes to a cake and the figure out how to do it later. This one has me stumped though this time.  Not quite sure on how to make this look. I think it's just a spatula drugged through the icing, but not sue how to make it this smooth.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

17 replies
kns93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kns93 Posted 13 Jun 2015 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 18

Pls re-post picture or a link to what you are referring to...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Jun 2015 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 18

We can't help without seeing the picture:)   Please upload the picture into you photo gallery, then post the link to it.

shortcake6679 Posted 13 Jun 2015 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 18

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3343218/how-to-do-this-cake

Sorry thought I had the picture with the text, thanks for your help:) 

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 13 Jun 2015 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 18

It takes practice. I advise that you do not experiment on paying clients.

kakeladi Posted 14 Jun 2015 , 2:16am
post #6 of 18

You have to have very smooth. creamy b'cream icing and a large rose tip to pipe those ribbons.

Practice some to see if you can pull it off.  We don't know your skill level and hopefully you will be 'man enough' to tell you customer you can't do it if that's how it turns out.

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 14 Jun 2015 , 9:02am
post #7 of 18

To me it looks like a fondant cake - you can see the occasional glue line under where the ribbons meet.

As a fondant cake it would be extremely easy.  Take your buttercream/ganached cake and add ribbon strips of fondant from the bottom up, overlapping each ribbon as you go.  The back would have the all the joins, which could be prettied up with a pearl/button/blossom or vertical fondant ribbon.  The top of each tier has a fondant round which is ever-so-slightly larger than the cake, so it overlaps the edge of top ribbon.

Debbie45628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie45628 Posted 14 Jun 2015 , 11:11am
post #8 of 18

It looks like  fondant to me, there is a lady that  gives a class on this on Craftsy....its rather easy,,,good luck

shannonann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonann Posted 14 Jun 2015 , 12:00pm
post #9 of 18

I think I've seen this before. If I remember correctly, they took a thin plastic scraper and cut teeth in it to make this pattern on the buttercream cake. Each tooth was straight across on the bottom and then angled up. I don't think it's fondant. 

i wish I could find the tutorial that I saw. if I find it I'll post it  

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 14 Jun 2015 , 1:11pm
post #10 of 18

Piped.

*drugged through the icing? I'm not sure what that means.

shortcake6679 Posted 14 Jun 2015 , 9:08pm
post #11 of 18

Thank you for all the ideas! I am going to practice with pipping with large rose petal tip, they requested no fondant.  Jedi Knight- I was originally thinking that I would ice the cake with the ombré then take a spatula and put in on an angle, and remove icing( drag the spatula through) tried it later in The day and it wasn't the look I was looking for. Thank you again, I got till August to perfect it. 

kakeladi Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 3:13am
post #12 of 18

Yes, it could be ribbons of fondant but the OP stated they wanted b'cream thus the use of a large rose tip (OR tip 105 - which is sometimes called a carnation tip but I don't think it will yield a wide enough ribbon).

bvwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bvwilliams Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 3:37am
post #13 of 18

I would try piping the buttercream with Wilton tip #789.  I think this will give you wider bands.

shannonann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonann Posted 16 Jun 2015 , 3:22am
post #14 of 18

http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com/2013/04/buttercream-comb-cake-and-comb-tutorial.html

This is the tutorial I was thinking of. Good luck on your cake. I'm sure it will be beautiful!

shortcake6679 Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 12:42am
post #15 of 18

55b57e9375e62.jpeg

I want to thank  everyone for their advice. After many modifications and a couple practices last weekend I think I'm happy with the results of this weekend's practice. What do you think?  Thanks again! 

bvwilliams Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 1:49am
post #16 of 18

Looks pretty good to me.  Love the ombré look.

bvwilliams Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 1:51am
post #17 of 18

Meant to say I love the ombré look.  Darn auto correct. ;-)

bvwilliams Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 1:52am
post #18 of 18

Sorry, it keeps changing the word when I hit the submit button.  Hope you know what I'm trying to say.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%