Scratch Cake Recipes

Baking By huskerfan Updated 6 Jun 2015 , 4:53pm by huskerfan

huskerfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huskerfan Posted 31 May 2015 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 9

Baking cakes from scratch now and finding all the recipes I have been given to use are not good at all.  especially wiltons butter cake.  I would love to hear what recipes everyone uses for just about any kind of cake flavor out there.  Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

8 replies
gammamaria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gammamaria Posted 31 May 2015 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 9

I have been using a recipe from the Baking at Home with The culinary Institute of America book. It is the butter cake recipe. It's a sturdy cake and everyone likes it. If you can't get recipe I can send it to you.

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 31 May 2015 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 9

The following thread has some good options for white cake and even discusses Beyond Buttercream's White cake with variations recipe... 

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/746365/best-white-cake-recipe

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 1:59am
post #4 of 9

Beyond Buttercream's white cake is so worth the money. I had the free version when it was still out there, but bought it when she put it on Esty. 

It is the best white cake out there. I have made the chocolate and strawberry version and they were also good.

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 4:21am
post #5 of 9

Beyond Buttercream's white cake is so worth the money. I had the free version when it was still out there, but bought it when she put it on Esty. 

It is the best white cake out there. I have made the chocolate and strawberry version and they were also good.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 9

betty croçker silver white cake is a all time classic white cake recipe - I'd post a link but I haven't figured out how to copy & paste on this tablet yet -- 

i really like sylvia weinstock's yellow cake recipe - she has two - my fave is the one with sour cream - I delete some of the egg yolks and add a quarter cup of flour - i mix the eggs into the sugar - I don't whip them first --

scratch cakes typically do not bounce back to just baked status if they have been refrigerated for any length of timetime so keep that in mind

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 9

àfter being chilled they stayed firmed up a bit and then you get the "it's dry" because it rubbed down the back of the throat - it's not really dry but that's the perception - they have nothing to compare to so they can't say oh this is firmer than the non-chilled piece they just know it's firmer aka drier when actually the moisture is exactly the same it's the fat staying tight

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 3:03pm
post #8 of 9

My favorite scratch cake that I have never had a mishap with is Gretchen Wright's chocolate cake.  Comes out perfect every time for me, is always moist and rich and everyone loves it.  Now, that I have a business, everyone orders white and yellow cake...of course :/

huskerfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huskerfan Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all for your suggestions. I did try sylvia weinstocks yellow cake. I must say it turned out pretty good. Working on other flavors too, slowly but surely

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%