How Do I Get Americolour Out Of Curtains

Decorating By Magic Mouthfuls Updated 16 May 2015 , 4:42pm by Pastrybaglady

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 9 May 2015 , 7:41am
post #1 of 11

It's been one of those weeks.  Yesterday, I was making up a batch of hot pink buttercream when I accidentally dropped the little bottle of Americolour 'Electric Pink' in the mixer as it was spinning.  

Well, the paddle gave the bottle a jolly good squeeze and Americolour 'Electric Pink' went in all directions.  At first I laughed, there was tiny droplets across my face which matched my outfit rather well.  Shortly after I noticed the drops on the floor, and the splashback tiles. Not to much effort to clean it up.  But it was 2 hours later I noticed the 2 splotches on the cream coloured roman blinds - aaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!!!

I gave them a dab and a rub with water and detergent, but its not coming out very well.  Anybody know the best way to remove it - ie should I use white vinegar or bi carb soda or does somebody know a really good trick??

Thanks in advance

10 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 9 May 2015 , 8:42am
post #2 of 11

Oh no!  I've never had that happen but generally what I find works for stain removal is baby wipes.  It's the glycerin.

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 9 May 2015 , 11:56am
post #3 of 11

I would try the baby wipes.  They seem to work the best. 

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 9 May 2015 , 11:57am
post #4 of 11

Or you could always die the curtains Pink. 

Pastrybaglady Posted 9 May 2015 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 11

Or splatter them evenly and people will think you just like pink  polka dots.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 May 2015 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 11

Shampoo works well to remove food coloring for some reason.

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 10 May 2015 , 4:20am
post #7 of 11

Thank you good people.  Yes, pink is my favourite colour - I even had a pink wedding dress!!  I would love hot pink curtains, but its a rental property, so cant quite get that creative without loosing my bond.

I shall try the baby wipes & shampoo and see how we go. 

Happy Mothers Day to you all :-)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 May 2015 , 4:04am
post #8 of 11

Did the wipes work?   For future knowledge, DO NOT use water &/or soap.  Rub well with toothpaste before any water touches it then rinse with very hot water.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 15 May 2015 , 11:30am
post #9 of 11

If worse comes to worse a little bleach on the end of a cotton bud should turn the pink white, which will be less obvious on the cream.

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 16 May 2015 , 4:00am
post #10 of 11

I didnt have baby wipes (my baby's now 11) so tried pure glycerine, vinegar, sard wonder stick, laundry detergent, bi-carb soda.  The vinegar worked best and the sun is slowly bleaching the remainder.  I did notice my liquid hand soap contained 'no soap' and glycerine, so I will also give that a go.   Mr Google said ammonia, but I dont have that either, and keep forgetting to buy it when at the shops.

Pastrybaglady Posted 16 May 2015 , 4:42pm
post #11 of 11

Vinegar - good to know!  Thanks for sharing your results, I'm sure that will come in handy one day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%