Fruit Flies!!

Decorating By allysons Updated 28 Sep 2005 , 8:32pm by Ironbaker

allysons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allysons Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 8:52am
post #1 of 14

Did you know they are attracted to more than just fruit? I can't keep them away from my cake that is cooling. ARG! I don't even have any FRUIT! Maybe it is sugar...I dont know.

Anybody have any tips on getting rid of them? They are driving me crazy! thumbsdown.gif

13 replies
tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 9:57am
post #2 of 14

I have had that problem before and the only thing that I can suggest is cool the cake in the refridgerator or freezer. Cuts down on cooling time and keeps the fruit flies away. GOOD LUCK!

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 10:58am
post #3 of 14

fruit flies are a pain. to get rid get a sm cont. fill with dish soap make bubbles. pour vinger and tada put it where u see them.. also pour bleach down ur drain that helps too

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 11:01am
post #4 of 14

if you put out a glass or red wine they will be drawn to that as well and then drown - gets rid of them pretty good.

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 11:23am
post #5 of 14

I have the same problem! I just unfold a paper napking (thin and cheap ones) and place one over my cooling cake layers. They're thin enough to allow the cakes to cool without holding in moisture.

Pesty little varmints! Shoo!

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 11:35am
post #6 of 14

Beer also attracts them and they drown...now if I could just keep my hubby from drinking my little beer bowls before the fruit flies do.... icon_smile.gif

jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 12:17pm
post #7 of 14

eeeew I have that problem too! I am going to have to try some of these things to keep them away! It is horrible!

vie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vie Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 12:36pm
post #8 of 14

I always had fruit flies and what I did was a bowl of straight vinegar. It attracts them and they are dead. Also, the beer trick works well but my hubby hates it when I use his beer. lol icon_lol.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 12:57pm
post #9 of 14

Yepper I find wine or beer works best. I put plastic wrap with holes poked in it over the top of a little dish or bowl. Then they are trapped and drown and it doesn't look as bad when they are swarming over the glass, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 5:22pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks for all of the tips, I'll have to try some. They annoy me to no end as well!

And like you said, they are attracted to anything sweet or rotting. The bleach down the drain is a good idea, I do that. And take your garbage out regularly.

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 5:42pm
post #11 of 14

Bleach or amonia down the drain is a good thing. Unfortunately they may not be fruit flies but sewer flies...especially if you dont have any fruit or veggies about. From what I can tell they look about the same. I am no bug expert but I have lived in many sets of Army housing!!! The bad thing is the nicest set we have lived in is now but it has the worst problem because it is "historic housing" and the plumbing is quite old. But amonia down the drain does the trick now that I figured out what they were....I know it is kinda gross and gives me the heebies but the rent is right icon_cry.gif - Someday I will have my own house but until then I keep many cleaning products stocked up!!!!! Good Luck! Go Army! usaribbon.gif

allysons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allysons Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 5:50pm
post #12 of 14

Ewwww....yeah I live in old Army housing so I wouldn't be surprised if they were sewer flies. Going to pour something down the drain, LOL.

Thanks for all the tips! I will try every one of them until they are gone icon_smile.gif

Sangria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangria Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 8:11pm
post #13 of 14

I had them this summer. I tried the wine, vinegar, and sugar water. Those bastards were too smart. So I got rid of all my fruit for about a month and they have not returned.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 8:32pm
post #14 of 14

One other thing I do when I'm cutting or eating fresh fruit (especially melons - they love that!) is bag the scraps - rind, peels, etc - in a plastic bag before I throw it in the trash. Especially if I'm not taking the trash out anytime soon. I don't know about anyone else but I usually save some of those plastic bags your groceries get bagged in. I just use one or two to put the fruit scraps in, knot it up and throw it out to keep those little pests away!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%