Your Birthday Cake?

Decorating By thinPINKline Updated 30 Apr 2015 , 2:49am by sleaky77

thinPINKline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thinPINKline Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 22

Just wondering, if you buy or bake and decorate your own on your special day?

21 replies
jewlster1259 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewlster1259 Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 22

I would like to but my husband insists on making a box cake for me, every year >.< If given the choice, I would bake my own and not purchase from someone else. I would enjoy making it exactly as I wanted.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 22

I don't even want cake on my birthday!  I want beautiful pastries :)  Eclairs, Macarons, fruit tarts...

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 22

I absolutely refuse to make my own birthday cake.  I make all my immediate family members birthday cakes (and we have a big family) which I don't mind and like doing but I definitely don't want to make mine.  I have actually gotten so that I don't really want cake anymore (I guess from making cakes for so long).  My dad has actually made me a mint cheesecake (which I love) on a few birthdays which is great but they usually buy me a cake (never from a grocery store though, they know how I feed about that).  But its never anything special and I just wish one year they would go all out and get me a really cool (and good tasting) cake like ones that I have made all of them every year, but I doubt they ever will.

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 22

I never want to make a birthday cake for my birthday, just not interested. I would order it from someone else.

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 11:49pm
post #6 of 22

I bake my own every year... I also cook my own birthday dinner... 

It is all my choice though...  I prefer it that way...

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 6:18am
post #7 of 22

I make mine every year! Usually with family helping too though. Grandkids, nieces and nephews, sisters. I have a kitchen full of people almost everyday :-)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 9:02am
post #8 of 22

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 10:46am
post #9 of 22

I always make my birthday cake! Its the only time I can truly do what I want, and just go crazy with decorations and stuff. A lot of people think its weird I make my own but I honestly love it!

Here's mine from last year: http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3233980/nyc-themed-birthday-cake

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 11:28am
post #10 of 22

I'm not a pro (or even much of an amateur ;-) ) so I'm not burned out on cake like the rest of you.

My husband generally buys a cake from an excellent bakery in town.

When the kids are a little older and free time isn't such a precious commodity I'll probably make my own with them.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 12:16pm
post #11 of 22

My husband makes my birthday cake every year, it is the one time of the year he bakes so we have had some disasters but it is definitely the thought that counts :-) so I will continue to enjoy the cake no matter what it looks/tastes like every year.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 1:03pm
post #12 of 22

sweetshop5 -- you're 18? wow sweet cake -- nicely done

-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 1:10pm
post #13 of 22

i get a decadent dessert from somewhere -- extravagent bread puddings have been on the menu -- this bourbon spiked belgian chocolate one from the peabody or the rum & coke bp from south of beale --

this year i went a little low key -- always watching my weight and got the pralines ice cream from baskin robbins -- my daughter got this sharknado stuff -- it was horrid the sharknado (not the pralines) -- we laughed so hard it was ridiculous -- she'd look down at her cup & go "i'm 35 years old why did i order this" omg it was so much fun -- i wondered where i had gone wrong as a mother because getting samples is all part of the baskins robbins experience yes?  why didn't she just get a sample -- so so funny -- laughed our faces off --

-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 1:18pm
post #14 of 22

i don't really like to have the family work on my birthday and i want to get the best bang for my calorie buck - hahaha

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 1:48pm
post #15 of 22

Quote by @-K8memphis on 45 minutes ago

sweetshop5 -- you're 18? wow sweet cake -- nicely done

Yes I am, thank you :)

muapet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muapet Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 3:19pm
post #16 of 22

Quote by @SweetShop5 on 4 hours ago

I always make my birthday cake! Its the only time I can truly do what I want, and just go crazy with decorations and stuff. A lot of people think its weird I make my own but I honestly love it!

Here's mine from last year: http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3233980/nyc-themed-birthday-cake

Very nice cake! can't believe that you are 18 :)

-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 5:32pm
post #17 of 22

muapet -- i know -- i clicked on her link and i'm thinking oh this is the wrong cake it's got an 18 on it -- du-uh, kate -- hahahaha -- i was making a mean 9x13 at that age -- i could serve both sides of the table with my 2-layer cakes because the layers slide in opposite directions when i was 18 -- hahaha --

pretty dang good, sweetshoppette >> insert clapping hands smilie face here :)

-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 5:32pm
post #18 of 22

muapet -- i know -- i clicked on her link and i'm thinking oh this is the wrong cake it's got an 18 on it -- du-uh, kate -- hahahaha -- i was making a mean 9x13 at that age -- i could serve both sides of the table with my 2-layer cakes because the layers slide in opposite directions when i was 18 -- hahaha --

pretty dang good, sweetshoppette >> insert clapping hands smilie face here :)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 11:46pm
post #19 of 22

No cake for me.  One, I only eat my cakes (yeah, I'm a cake snob!) and two, I plan my own birthday fun usually by taking some friends to Beni-Hana's.  But no .... no cake.  Ever.

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 2:20am
post #20 of 22

never made my cake, my sons birthday is the next day, so I make his and no time for me.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 2:37am
post #21 of 22

No one in my family dares ..............except for my granddaughter so I gladly accept cakes from her.   Some are a riot and one was drizzled with lime koolaid - she thought that would add an extra kick. 

sleaky77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleaky77 Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 2:49am
post #22 of 22

My husband makes me a baked cheesecake every year, and each year I ask for a more difficult one. I started with a simple fruit flavour and then salted caramel. Last year I ordered a baklava baked cheesecake and this year a pecan pie baked cheesecake. Every year he pulls it off and we eat the most delicious cake. I am on the lookout for next years already.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%